Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ww2 m1 fixed bail helmet help?

Article about: It was made around late January 1942. A very nice pick up, and welcome to the forum. Best Regards, Andy PS, the lowest heat stamp number I have seen is 27.

?

Default Ww2 m1 fixed bail helmet help?

Hi. I am new to this site but not to collecting. I have several ww2 items but I just picked up at a yard sale for $35.00 a helmet that I think is a very early one. I am not an expert so I thought i might get some help from this sight. It is a nice fixed bail helmet with 60C number? have not seen any on the net with a number this low. Has the original Hawley liner. the guy I bought it from said that it was his dad's and that he served in the Fiji islands (John Noel Dowdall born 1911 in spencer Ind.) The helmet has his initials and signature on the helmet and liner. I know that this is a nice fixed bail front seam ww2 helmet. What I was hoping to get help with is this from the early helmets made before pearl harbor was bombed or one later in the war. With a 60C number I thought it might be but I do not have a book to tell me. Any input from anyone would be great. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww2 m1 fixed bail helmet help?   Ww2 m1 fixed bail helmet help?  

Ww2 m1 fixed bail helmet help?   Ww2 m1 fixed bail helmet help?  

Default Re: Ww2 m1 fixed bail helmet help?

Don't know much about M1's but welcome!

?

Thank's. I also have a german gun cleaning kit dated 1936 with the eagle and swastika. a vietnam helmet, a 1943 Longbranch Lee Enfield #4 mk1* all matching numbers Thanks again

A nice fixed bale M1 pot with a Hawley liner - very nice pick up.

?

Yes I was very happy to get it at such a low price!

You have an early front seam, fixed bale helmet with Hawley liner. In general, later, production transitioned into low pressure/ high pressure (they look like wood) liners that were easier and cheaper to produce.

I do not have the info, but I am sure someone will be along soon enough that can tell you more about the heat stamp.

Generally, the majority of pre-Pearl Harbor helmets in use, especially amongst the Marines in the Pacific, were the M1917A1 Kelly Conversion helmets... aka WWI helmets with an updated liner/ chin strap. By the Guadalcanal Campaign, it seems as if M1917A1s were completely phased out in favor of the M1 with Hawley liner like you have.

nice early m1 helmet you have there and welcome to this great forum ! you wont regret joining !

?

Thanks to all for the great welcome. It is nice to find a place with people that will help. I have been burned with some fakes and finding a place like this gives me a little reassurance about what to by.

Hey there!

That's a pretty sweet pick up. Nice snag!
    Welcome to the forum.

Quinn

Welcome dtener! That is a real beauty you have picked up there.$35 is a real steal,and you have the guys history to go with it too(all important).As for whether it is a pre pearl harbour lid or not i could not say for sure but i would say it is more likely to be from just after that date as most US helmets at that time were the converted WW1 types.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast