Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

ww2 m1 helmet for review!!!!!

Article about: As a sad daily viewer of ebayim constantly amazed how so many so-called collectors manage to buy stuff like this,unless they know what there getting and have other plans in place,but if not

Default ww2 m1 helmet for review!!!!!

As a sad daily viewer of ebayim constantly amazed how so many so-called collectors manage to buy stuff like this,unless they know what there getting and have other plans in place,but if not then someone is going to be displaying this by the weekend taking pride and place,please study the images and speak openly with regards to the obvious wrongs.......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 m1 helmet for review!!!!!   ww2 m1 helmet for review!!!!!  

ww2 m1 helmet for review!!!!!   ww2 m1 helmet for review!!!!!  

ww2 m1 helmet for review!!!!!   ww2 m1 helmet for review!!!!!  

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    As a sad daily viewer of ebayim constantly amazed how so many so-called collectors manage to buy stuff like this,unless they know what there getting and have other plans in place,but if not then someone is going to be displaying this by the weekend taking pride and place,please study the images and speak openly with regards to the obvious wrongs.......

G'day Jake,

My knowledge on these does lack compared to yourself Jake, but I Love this challenge!

Were there any advertised markings/heat stamp on the liner and shell? If none at all, that alone would concern me a little:

The frontal eyelet hole is unusual and appears to have been drilled after the liner was painted? If this is correct, makes it in all certainty, a post Korean war liner.

The paint on the liner does not quite look right, appears to have been sanded a bit here and there perhaps. In any case, it is my understanding any painted liners such as this would most likely be post war.

The stitching of the chinstrap to the bale appears a bit unusual is one side double stitched? Chinstrap hardware appears to be brass - Liner hardware painted steel.

Hard to tell with photo quality, but does the shell have a sand texture? Obviously post war if this is the case.

About it from me, I'm sure I've missed something!

Best regards,
    Chris

Hi Chris,you have not missed anything,you have reached the same conclusion as me but have gone a differant route to me,front seam McCord with aged repro chinstraps and a fake drilled front eyelet,the liner is a 1962 Firestone without the eyelet that someone has kindly added,I think its common belief that only expensive Helmets are faked but like in this instance the proofs in the pudding as they say,well done mate for spotting the mistakes..............

Thanks Jake, great to hear - I've had some good coaches!

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    a fake drilled front eyelet,the liner is a 1962 Firestone without the eyelet that someone has kindly added
    And a poorly done job as well!

Barring the gal of the 'artifake' in the first place; it irritates me that someone would destroy the providence of a liner such as a 62 Firestone for what could only be a small monetary gain! As these 'artifakes' get older (and the originals dearer) they will sting countless buyers. In any case, permanent accessible information on this subject, such as on this post; will be all the more significant. Great post!

Best regards,
    Chris

Once again Chris were are both thinking along the same lines,a 50 year old liner is ruined just to add a few quid to the overall price and also destroying original history and damage to the Vietnam period paintwork.

Not to be a skeptic but maybe the hole was added to the liner to add an emblem of some sort.
    I have a USMC security helmet and that is the place that the EGA would be placed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 m1 helmet for review!!!!!   ww2 m1 helmet for review!!!!!  

Oh and this is actually a WWII liner.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 m1 helmet for review!!!!!  

Also from the photos you cannot tell but it could be a WWII helmet shell repainted for later use and a 50s liner added. It would not be too unusual for a 50s liner to be found in a WWII shell.

Quote by anton67 View Post
    Also from the photos you cannot tell but it could be a WWII helmet shell repainted for later use and a 50s liner added. It would not be too unusual for a 50s liner to be found in a WWII shell.
    Hello,

Yes as Jake stated, it is a front seam McCord shell. May have had post war refurbishment, a closer pic would be better.

An interesting point you make regarding the badge; this is certainly worth a little more research! The liner above appears to be WWII vintage, but I must say in my experience; unless the flash and light etc. have made it appear more shiny, the paint on exterior of liner you have shown here looks so fresh I'm a little skeptical that it is 70+ years old, I could well be wrong. In any case, many thanks for your input.

Kind regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by christek; 02-28-2014 at 03:50 AM.

Quote by anton67 View Post
    Yes I totally agree with that notion Anton,but the reason for me starting this thread was to prove how far somebody can and will go to sell bad stuff to anyone willing to buy it,this was sold as a ww2 Helmet + liner,not a ww2 shell with later postwar liner,some insignia's were added,but usually mores time than not the hole is only drilled to trick a less experienced collector into thinking its ww2 vintage because it has the front eyelet.