Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

ww2 m1 helmet shell value

Article about: hey guys, i just got this m1 helmet for \\$40. it came with a brand new 1984 liner, and a mitchels cover and elsatic strap. but i was pleasantly suprised to find a ww2 shell underneath. i dont

?

Default ww2 m1 helmet shell value

hey guys, i just got this m1 helmet for $40. it came with a brand new 1984 liner, and a mitchels cover and elsatic strap. but i was pleasantly suprised to find a ww2 shell underneath. i dont really know much about ww2 m1s. what do you think it is worth, and what company and year do you think its from. any advice would be aprreciated. thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 m1 helmet shell value   ww2 m1 helmet shell value  

ww2 m1 helmet shell value   ww2 m1 helmet shell value  

Default Re: ww2 m1 helmet shell value

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing, price goes not sure, sounds like you got a good deal though...

?

It would appear you have a solid bale front seam helmet are there any Heat stamp numbers inside the shell stamped any were possibly around the area of the bales and or on the front of the shell. If I am not mistaken there are ways to tell the maker and the age of the shell by these numbers.

Regards Mark K

40 bucks for a fixed bail with chin straps is a steel!!!!

The helmet looks like a McCord, but to be sure you'll have to read the heat stamp......if you can not find a big "S" with the heat stamp then it is a McCord. If you find and "S" stamp then it was mfr'd by Schlueter, which are the lesser common of the two.

The heat stamp will be inside at the front, right around were the visor part of the shells rolls.

?

thanks guys it has 257A stamped in the front visor. McCord huh, cool. any idea of its value?- i got a firestone liner that fits in it, but it is in poor condition. ill post some picks of my Vietnam helmet soon. thanks again guys

?

I would have no problem at all peeling a $100 bill out of my wallet for a WWII Mcord in that condition sweet helmet.

Regards Mark k

257 indicates around mid year 1942 so a nice early lid. If it's original paint and texture, original chin strap and free of dents and stress cracks it's worth twice what you paid for it. With a period liner, they sell for $150 on up eBay all the time.

?

thanks a ton guys, these forums are awesome. i have been a member of the k98 mauser forum for years now, this one is set up the same way; just a bunch of good honest people with all the knowledge, and similar interests on cool stuff. if i ever decide to sell her ill let you guys know first. thanks again.- ill post my other m1's soon; thanks again, keep your eyes open; you never know what you are gonna find. truly a fun and addictive hobby.

The differences between McCord and Schelueters can be quickly ID'd by the shape of the weld marks on the seam of the brim. McCords had an oval shaped mark and Schlueters had circles. The "S" on the Schlueters are often worn down, painted over and sometimes even absent. Also the shape of the helmet is slightly different between them, along with the bales. And Schlueters are generally more looked for by many, since there were only 2 million produced, vs the 20 million by McCord.

Great catch on this one btw! Cant beat it for what you paid for it!