Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 US M1 Front seam fixed bale with Westinghouse OD3 liner

Article about: Hi guys, I am looking at buying this US M1 helmet from "the ruptured duck" which has the below description. WWII US M1 Helmet with Net-This fixed bale, front seam helmet with a Wes

Default WW2 US M1 Front seam fixed bale with Westinghouse OD3 liner

Hi guys,
    I am looking at buying this US M1 helmet from "the ruptured duck" which has the below description.

WWII US M1 Helmet with Net-This fixed bale, front seam helmet with a Westinghouse liner. The finish to both the liner and the shell is virtually fully intact. The liner has OD 3 webbing with brown leather chin strap that is excellent. The nape strap is maker marked. The smaller leather chin strap shows some wear. The main strap is excellent and has a raised bar buckle. The net is an excellent original example. The inside of the shell is stamped 50C 1. An excellent example!

I have attached photos from the sellers website and I would appreciate any opinions or red flags. I have researched using posts on the forums and linked sites and my untrained eye suggests it is okay.

Any comments/replies are as always greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Andre
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 US M1 Front seam fixed bale with Westinghouse OD3 liner   WW2 US M1 Front seam fixed bale with Westinghouse OD3 liner  

WW2 US M1 Front seam fixed bale with Westinghouse OD3 liner   WW2 US M1 Front seam fixed bale with Westinghouse OD3 liner  

WW2 US M1 Front seam fixed bale with Westinghouse OD3 liner   WW2 US M1 Front seam fixed bale with Westinghouse OD3 liner  

Hi Andre,maybe i'm becoming a sceptic in my old age but i'm not a huge fan of the chinstraps whatsoever,there just screaming repro at me,again maybe the artificial light in which the images have been taken,but take a look at M1 depot.com steve has better sets and is fair priced.

I like the whole lid, but ruddersrangers could be correct about the chinstraps. I would not pay top dollar since there is a question on the item.
    John

I agree with Jake on all points. Bill at ruptured duck will be a little higher than Steve. I know Steve will work with you if you see something that you like plus Steve lives an hour away from me that makes him an Alabama boy, you can't go wrong with that.
    If you are wanting a helmet with a net, real one are still available for a reasonable price. Bills price for that helmet is to high and I believe it is a put together set.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

What is it that suggests the chinstraps are reproduced? .... just for my information when looking. I knew I was paying top dollar but thought with this dealer I'd be fairly safe (although I know you can never be 100% - which is why I posted )

I had looked at m1 helmet depot but wasn't sure about international shipping to the UK but will keep an eye on his stock for sure.

Thanks again,

Andre

"What is it that suggests the chinstraps are reproduction" good question Andre,like with most good long term collectors here,you get a nose for your field and so on,i could be wrong i mean i'm human but i can only go on the images provided and personally i didn't get a feel for something which is supposed to be 70 years old.there's no natural age to them meaning dis-colouring dirt/grime fatigue even paint spill if been in a shed or garage.also the black coated brass buckle,a first for me as they only coated the flat type which was produced july 1944,also the fold backs and bar-tacking isn't correct as this should be flat and compressed and the stitching is rough at best.............as marty said steve will work with you as he likes a quick turnover.if unsure post up here prior to handing over your lolly.

Thanks Jake for the additional information, I think I was a little suspicious initially due to the lack of close up photos from this M1 where as other lids on the website had plenty.

The ommitance of the detail didn't give me the opportunity to research properly and I needed a more educated review.

Thankyou,

Andre

This rig with no Providence is a 225-275.00 tops. If it were named and proving all original as group maybe 400-450.00 range. M1 helmets are not rare, prices have leveled off but this one is to high.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

If i am correct regarding the chinstraps then its a bloody shame as that's an early McCord that carries the number digit prefix after the heat treatment number,this practice was stopped somewhere in the 50 plus range so this in fact is a more sort after shell.however Marty is correct with regards to the pricing of the above said item.

Thanks again guys, I've decided against buying this based on what's been identified, great information

Andre

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast