Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

WWII McCord Former FB? Navy Helmet

Article about: Another ebay find. It is a McCord WWII era helmet that I got for \\$40 total (with shipping). I think it must have been a former FB due to the low heat lot number 99A - any thoughts on that id

Default WWII McCord Former FB? Navy Helmet

Another ebay find. It is a McCord WWII era helmet that I got for $40 total (with shipping).
    I think it must have been a former FB due to the low heat lot number 99A - any thoughts on that idea?
    Also, was it a Navy helmet?
    Lastly, what type of liner would you put in it?
    Obviously a WWII era liner but was there any special color or maker for Navy helmets?
    Thanks
    Anton
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII McCord Former FB? Navy Helmet   WWII McCord Former FB? Navy Helmet  

WWII McCord Former FB? Navy Helmet   WWII McCord Former FB? Navy Helmet  

WWII McCord Former FB? Navy Helmet  
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Default Re: WWII McCord Former FB? Navy Helmet

Hello you are correct this is a navy helmet. There was no main liner that the navy was issued but if I were going to put a liner in this helmet I would put a semi salty liner to match the rest of the helmet
    Sean F

nice lid you guys are so fortunate living in the states,the ebay and flea finds are so cheap compared with the UK prices,the paint and swivel bales more likely postwar reissue?McCord shell made around march 1942,fixed bale with either hawley-general fibre-st clair low pressure liner,but as these liners sell for hundreds of dollars,stick with a mid war green hardware westinghouse or firestone as these being the most massed produced will cost the least and make sure there salty looking.all the best dave.

I see that little hint of Red under the top coat of Grey. so it saw a little Repair Locker duty at some point in its life. That's what I love about these Navy lids. Who knows how many times this lid has been re-painted and when it finally was taken out of servcie. The navy just kept passing these things on from ship to ship, fresh coat of paint and good for another decade of service. We've got one, very similar and marked "REP'R 5, that has 3 different coats of grey along with hints of the original OD paint.

What liner you choose to use with this lid probably makes little differance it might have been in service on through to the 80's for all anyone knows. I'd go wtih MM's suggestion though and make it a "salty" one so it fits the rest of the lid.

Russ

I was on the U.S.S. Little Rock about a week ago, and I came across 2 or 3 stacks of front-seam, swivel bale grey M1's just like this. There were about 20 per stack and they were very poorly caged in. Oh, the temptation... lol

With the large number of ships that were decommissioned and/or returned back to civilian service, after the war, I can not help but imagine the huge numbers of these WWII period M-1s that landed back in the Navy Supply System and re-issued time and again to other ships. I was stationed aboard the USS Oldendorf from 1983 - 1987 and, although I have no recollection of what helmet we stuck on our head, during General Quarters Drills, they were no doubt old M-1's, they were just tossed in the helmet racks, next to the repair locker door and nobody gave them a second thought....I don't even recall what color they where but I'm pretty sure they were not OD. I never took any photos of the inside of the ship...shame on me.