Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wwii us m1?

Article about: Hello all, This is my first post in this great newly discovered site (which has eluded me for some reason). I have been a keen bayonet collector for a couple of years but for some unknown re

Default Wwii us m1?

Hello all,

This is my first post in this great newly discovered site (which has eluded me for some reason). I have been a keen bayonet collector for a couple of years but for some unknown reason, I never had any interest in helmets. That has all changed since I recently purchased a bunch of them for a decent price (including several M1s). I had initial plans to sell them off again for a modest profit, but I have just enjoyed researching and handling them so much I have decided to expand my collecting into helmets (much to my wife's disappointment ). After some research, I realize that my examples (for one reason or another) are not absolute gems, but I love them anyway and wish to get some feedback or confirmation on the information I have already obtained.

This is my first M1, probably the best example in my modest lot.

A front seam, swivel bale M1, markings inside front rim very hard to read; ''1?00A'', this helmet has obviously been repainted no sign of cork or sand, with some signs of Korean war refurbishment , such as clasps and the liner double stamp (Capac and Westinghouse). Interestingly, although painted in some later stage in it's life, the seam still shows some stainless steel in some places. Another distinctive characteristic of early war examples I have read is, due to the type of steel used, they were prone to generate stress cracks on the shell. My example still defiantly shows these fractures!

What do you think gentleman? The newer paint job is quite decent but I have been considering a refit. I have read a little of paint stripping, but although there is a chance of a cool discovery, the idea is a little startling. I am sorry the pics are not the best, taken at night, as this time is really my only free time at the moment.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wwii us m1?   Wwii us m1?  

Wwii us m1?   Wwii us m1?  

Wwii us m1?  

Default Re: Wwii us m1?

I would not strip the helmet. IMHO you will ruin it. The helmet was probably stripped before being repainted since it has a smooth texture.

do you have pictures of your other helmets as the small part i see of one in the last photo caught my eye

Some pics of the lot; 4 m1s, british UN MKIV, Dutch MKII55 Clone, Australian issue Kevlar Helmet, Note: German helmet is a quality repro (I am sure you all know this!).

The two M1's with the strange paint jobs are what I am currently attempting to ID. I am pretty sure one is a Dutch M53, (I believe the quick release straps and (the illegible) serial number on the front inside rim show M53) the yellow one I believe is a us made M1, there is an anchor on the straps and a serial number 'MWA50' inside. They both have cork/sand but they appear different textures.

A question on ID-ing, is it a bad idea to give the areas that have serial markings a quick, gentle sand down to get better look at the markings? The two examples in which I am considering this are already re-painted so I am not damaging original paint, what do you think?

Thanks,

Kind regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wwii us m1?   Wwii us m1?