Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kragenabzeichen fur Bayern Landespolizei

Article about: I have had this collar device for many years and I have been unsuccessful in trying to identify this. I initially thought that it may be something for a very high ranking SS official that wo

Default Kragenabzeichen fur Bayern Landespolizei

I have had this collar device for many years and I have been unsuccessful in trying to identify this. I initially thought that it may be something for a very high ranking SS official that would have been on a collar tab. Well I was not totally wrong with my assessment.

This validates the use of reference books when trying to obtain information. I may have mentioned before that I am a firm believer in having a reference library and I have collected reference books just as long as I have collected insignia. Over 40 years worth of books now sit on my bookshelves and I have several thousand books now.

With the advent of the internet and world wide web, it has made identifying insignia much easier and quicker, but I am old school and still enjoy flipping through the pages of a good book. Last year I was able to purchase the 2 volume set: "Uniforms, Organizations & History of the German Police", Volumes 1 and 2 by John Angolia and Hugh Page Taylor.. These books were not cheap but they hold some valuable information within the pages. I was very happy to see this collar device in the books since I have not had any luck finding one similar on the internet.. (This just validates for me that reference books are still a valuable commodity, even those that are several years if not decades old)...

So valuable in fact, I was able to identify the device that had alluded me for so long. It is without question the same device that I have now in my collection and can be properly marked and cataloged. To further confirm what the actual device is, the authors of the book also referenced the F.W. Assmann and Sohne catalog and it is clearly identified in the catalog.

According to the authors of the German Police Books: "The special metal collar badge, worn as a reverse image matching pair by the Bavarian LP, as advertised by Assmann under their reference 18175"..

I present to you the collar device and supporting documentation..

Comments and feedback are always welcome..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kragenabzeichen fur Bayern Landespolizei   Kragenabzeichen fur Bayern Landespolizei  

Kragenabzeichen fur Bayern Landespolizei   Kragenabzeichen fur Bayern Landespolizei  

Kragenabzeichen fur Bayern Landespolizei   Kragenabzeichen fur Bayern Landespolizei  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kragenabzeichen fur Bayern Landespolizei
    P
    Many

Ironically I just found the Ebay dealer who has some of these for sale...

Smitty

Nice Rakkasan187.
    The number 18175 was all those years in the Assmann-catalogue included under stuff for Bavaria.
    At least since the 1935/1937-issue.
    Here some photos from 1931/1932 from my headgear-files, where the collar-device is being worn
    by Bavarian Landespolizei. First an officers candidate (Hilfswachtmeister), second a Wachtmeister.
    Note that just the cockade is being worn.

Kragenabzeichen fur Bayern Landespolizei Kragenabzeichen fur Bayern Landespolizei

Most often collectors do not check good enough and find a solution by themselves. A look-a-like
    of this oak-leaf device was in use by hunters (Jägerabzeichen). There are only minor differences,
    which one hardly can see from a distance. So, confusion is easy!
    My friend Hugh did a good or better said excellent job and we all must thank him for giving us
    pieces from his knowledge. He is a real researcher for many, many years. He knows what he is
    talking about.

It is always fun to browse among catalogues. Sample: For years me and some friends were asking
    ourselves how the collar-device for the persons from the Reichszeugmeisterei did look like. It is not
    shown in regulations, but just mentioned. When checking the Assmann and other catalogues we did
    find out it was number 17496, but the single leaf. This stuff was manufactured and available. So, why
    designing a new form when there already is a form for use for many years (even since 1926)!

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kragenabzeichen fur Bayern Landespolizei  
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 08-11-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Wilhelm,

Thank you so very much for providing additional information and pictures. I am extremely happy that I joined this forum.. There are some wonderful members on here.

Please pass my thanks and regards on to Mr. Taylor for such wonderful information and research.. I will also contact LTC John Angolia and pass along my thanks to him. I have known John now for several years...

With kindest and warmest regards..

Smitty