Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1893 Russian spade??

Article about: I recently found this spade, which the store claimed was a russian army shovel, and since it was within my budget, and since I like army spades (good condition ones go into my collection and

Default 1893 Russian spade??

1893 Russian spade??1893 Russian spade??
    I recently found this spade, which the store claimed was a russian army shovel, and since it was within my budget, and since I like army spades (good condition ones go into my collection and fair or worse go inthe truck for snow/digging emergencies!)
    However, I don't know if this IS Russian. Is the date 4th quarter 1893?(strange, most of my four Russian spades are dated similar to this: "1915" with a code for the maker)
    I would love it to be a 1893, but I would love more to know what country made it!
    Jagdhorn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1893 Russian spade??
    P
    Many

Default Re: 1893 Russian spade??

Could you show more photos of the entire blade,perhaps?
    Eric

Here are a few more phots, front and back of spade, the stampings are center front.
    thanks for helping me!
    Jagdhorn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1893 Russian spade??   1893 Russian spade??  

Thanks for the photos!
    Well, I thought that those models of e-tools had a squared-off blade and a longer metal throat going down the wooden helve. The arch pattern to the rivets looks Russian: and Austrian,Belgian,etc...Many nations used this "Linneman" style but were rectangular in shape instead of "pointed" end. The markings don't look Russian. I'm still researching this but I wanted to respond with some ideas for you.
    Eric

Hi Eric;
    I believe that the spades were often sold off to other countries and such. I have some Russia ones out of Estonia, and htey are pointed, as well as the finnish "captured" russian ones. In Bob Fisch's book, the Hungarian and Czech (If I rememebr rightly!) show Russian spades that are made pointed by the new onwers. the spade I have is not like the "older" style ones I own, all out of Estonia, and they match well with Fisch's book, though the photos there are small. I also have the 3 of the what I thought was the newer model as the first one is marked 945. But then I got another marked 1915! so, a great theroy is gone!

thanks for the help. I am interested though why in the big scheme of things, I don't know. And, yes, these Linnemann spades are all over the place, and I suspect widely taken into the military stores of any army that captures them!

Jagdhonr

?

tovarish,

I have the exact same shovel and even the same date stamp. I have seen photos of Soviet RKKA troops wearing this shovel. Even if it isn't original Russian manufactured, it was used by some RKKA troops.
    Martyn Acsinowicz

The teeth of the wolf are bigger in the mouths of men than they are in the mouth of the wolf.

1893 Russian spade??1893 Russian spade??
    thaks for sharing that- though I have to say (enviously) I can't tell one spade from another in most pictures!

I would just love to find out where it was made, and if 1893 is really date- most spades I have seen are year dates, but maybe the 4 is a factory?

I ahve uploaded the case it came with, it looks Russian, maybe post war, I know nothing about post 1945 Red ARmy field gear. The wooden toggle looks REd Army, but the couble strap seems odd,and the middle "flap" has no purpose to my eyes. It may have had a different location for the belt loops as there are markes in the canvas of old stiching.

A side hobby of collecting is looking at tags and rolling my eyes at the foolish claims made by surplu store managers. THis was marked Russian, I thoght the store was right, but I would love to prove it!
    Jagdhorn

?

I found your shovel carrier. Ost Front has it labeled as an engineer's shovel for long spades. here is the link:
    Original Russian WW2 Long Handle Engineer Shovel Carriers: Ostfront - German and Russian WWII militaria
    Martyn Acsinowicz

The teeth of the wolf are bigger in the mouths of men than they are in the mouth of the wolf.

I believe it's Hungarian!!

?

These shovels are available in larger quantities in Poland as post war Hungarian.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast