MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Correct Sling for PPSH-41?

Article about: Hello all - What is the correct WWII sling for a PPSH-41? Is it all leather or leather and web? Also, are originals difficult to find? Does anyone reproduce them? Thank you very much! Best r

Default Correct Sling for PPSH-41?

Hello all -

What is the correct WWII sling for a PPSH-41? Is it all leather or leather and web? Also, are originals difficult to find? Does anyone reproduce them?

Thank you very much!

Best regards to all!

Bill K.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Correct Sling for PPSH-41?
    P
    Many

Leather and web to the best of my knowledge. I was at a show a couple of weeks ago and the guy had several hundred with good markings still on them for $10.00 Each. Original items.
    John

The earlier ones had webbing with pigskin straps and pigskin strings to tie. The later ones had webbing with a harder kind of leather straps and the pigskin ties were replaced with a buckle and these slowly were replaced by full leather ones.

Early one with pigskin leather and strings:
    Correct Sling for PPSH-41?Correct Sling for PPSH-41?

Later strap with pigskin leather but with buckle:

The full leather one:

Do take notice that many early postwar Polish slings are also being sold as wartime Soviet slings. These have a slightly different weave of webbing and the leather is much harder and less flexible.

Thank you gentlemen this is exactly the kind of info. I was looking for. Funny, I had it backwards, I thought the all leather sling was early and the one with ties was late! I appreciate this!

Very best regards,
    Bill K.

Finally had some time to make some pics from my sling. It's an early wartime sling made from rough fabric with pigskin straps and laces. Last pic shows detail of the fabric. These slings were quite short and I wonder how the soldiers could have these slung around their necks without feeling VERY uncomfortable with the round magazine bouncing on their chest haha

Nice piece and great pics...but what a hideous mess of a strap....they may as well have used old rope! :-)

At least it served its purposes, guess that is all that mattered

Marcel -

Thank you for the pics and comments. I was able to grab an original sling with all your help. I noted same thing as you as soon as I attached it! Thanks again, all - Bill K.

As with anything and everything Soviet, it was always function over aesthetic. Ugly, but served its purpose well enough.

I have an all-leather sling lying around somewhere which I suspect is a postwar variation. I'd dig it out and take some photographs, but the bloody thing is playing hide and seek.

Regards, B.B.