Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Greetings, thankyou and request help!

Article about: Greetings to everyone! As a brand new member, I have to say that 1/2 hr browsing this site has taught me more than many weeks on the Internet! I have only recently started to take a very hum

Smile Greetings, thankyou and request help!

Greetings to everyone!
    As a brand new member, I have to say that 1/2 hr browsing this site has taught me more than many weeks on the Internet! I have only recently started to take a very humble interest in Russian WW2 militaria and was put off a little because Russian WW2 pattern items seem to have been made and used by half the world for several decades after GPW! I should like to acquire the uniform and eqpt of an ordinary OR infantryman - but there seems to be a maze of issues concerning identifying what's correct - quite apart from finding the money to pay for it! I have a Lend Lease leather belt (dated 44) and a mess tin (I said it was humble!) I should like advice on identifying and sourcing stuff like backpack, canteen and an authentic uniform. Which of the manifold dealers out there are to be trusted?
    What I have read so far on this forum has been very helpful - keep it up and greetings from Kent, England!

Ian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Greetings, thankyou and request help!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Greetings, thankyou and request help!

Hello Ian and welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find some help here!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Hi Ian, welcome to the forum!

Glad you are finding it useful and interesting.

Being in the UK, like myself, you will find very little indeed for sale locally from British dealers. I can reccommend some dealers to you and I will send you a PM with these. But give me time on this. I have a very busy weekend coming up.

The field gear you should be able to put together. A pack will be the most expensive item and hardest to find. The uniform on the other hand will be very difficult and expensive to find. Wartime Soviet other ranks uniforms are very, very rare. They were simply worn to destruction. You need to decide which era of the war you are interested in. Early war Obr35 uniforms and associated gear is harder to find still and is more expensive. Later Obr43 uniforms are a bit easier to find. If you are prepaired to buy a later dated late 1940's or early 1950's uniform you options will increase a bit. But again these are not common by any means.

Have you ever thought of joining a RKKA re-enactment group? Here in the UK I am 2i/c of 2nd Guards Rifle Division. Many group memebers are collectors too. We could certainly help you and you would get to see items in hand

Cheers, Ade.

Ade
    Thankyou - I think I've e-mailed you before via the WW2 re-enacting forum?
    I hadn't really thought about a specific period. I would like to get a de-act PPSh and build the uniform around that - I guess what I end up with will depend on serendipity! What I need is some way to id WW2 stuff like canteen cover, E-tool cover, PPSh drum mag pouch, etc.

Re-enactment not really practical for me but I enjoy seeing it at Beltring, etc. and would like to know more about 2nd guards Rifle Div.
    best wishes
    Ian

Hi Ian, I though that your name seemed familiar.

Here is a link to "2nd Guards" website. We have some links listed which you may find useful.

http://www.2ndguards.com/index.html

I have also sent you a PM.

If you intend to buy a PPSh41, I would go with the Obr43 pattern uniform. But the time this weapon was in widespread issue the new uniform was also being issued.

Have a look here for some good original items for sale. I can recommend this site:

http://www.aboutww2militaria.com/

Cheers, Ade.

Comrade alysloper,
    If you are about on Sunday....

Felixstan, held in Chatham Dockyard...

UKMS2000 Militaria Fairs and Special Events

You find the odd Progressive item of Red Army Scale of Issue, but several Progressive Re-enactors attend, myself will be a mostly a DDR Grenzer( look for East German rain drop Camo with a black "Furhat" and collar), we will not be on the Gate ( our genossen of the Gitlerite Das Heer will be about that duty, ) but if you wish to talk about this Sweet Sickness we can start Political Perception vetting for Moscow Centre...

I'm not Glorious 2nd Guards, but a Fraternal Comrade of theirs.....so I can assist your Cultural development and Scales of Issue within our Direction of Interest.

Its a good Gig, if you are in a Uniform, it is free to get in.. the Bounty of Felixstan.