Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Molotov cocktails carrying bag

Article about: Hi Guys I was able to get one of these rare bags for carrying incendiary bottles, commonly known as "Molotov's cocktails"-the common name appeared for the first time during Russo-F

Default Molotov cocktails carrying bag

Hi Guys
    I was able to get one of these rare bags for carrying incendiary bottles, commonly known as "Molotov's cocktails"-the common name appeared for the first time during Russo-Finnish Winter war, it was a simple and deadly weapon destinated to destroy tanks, armored vechicles and fortified positions, bunkers, heavy weapons nests.
    Incendiary bottles were delivered to the front line in case of need in wooden crates filled with dirt. Most commonly single bottles were geaven to soldiers, but they could be equiped with more bottles-tank destroyers teams armed with incendiary bottles were formed from 2 to 3 soldiers from which 1 or 2 were armed with bottles and commander with submachinegun or light machine gun.

In case when few bottles were geaven cound have been carried in a carrying bag if availble.

According to Red Army regulations for incendiary bottles in paragraph with carrying rules we can find that in normal circumstances bottles should be carried in bag separated from each other. If there was no carrying bags availble bottles should be carried in paper,hay or rags. During movement bags should be carred over soldiers shoulder, during run should be held with left hand to protect bottles from breaking.

However this seems to be not a common piece of a fieldgear as I couldn't find a picture of one used in the field except training photograph.

This bag dates around 1941 manufactured by VKPS- All-Union Cooperative Industrial Soviet funtioning from 1932 to 1941.

That's a straight from a warehouse example-still with buckles secured with oilish paper and tied with a string, absolutely a great example of a field gear from early period of Great Patriotic War.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Molotov cocktails carrying bag   Molotov cocktails carrying bag  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Molotov cocktails carrying bag
    P
    Many

Still has some manufacturing period marking made with red pencil inside.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Molotov cocktails carrying bag   Molotov cocktails carrying bag  

Bag is made to carry 3 incendiary bottles-one strap to carry it over the shoulder, one to be tied around soldier's waist, but I have no idea what are the loops underneath the bag for. My idea was that this was for some tool (for ex. shovel) as according to regulations smoking bottle should be burried immidiately or in case of fire-whole bag or crate. But I think Im wrong as this would not held shovel well.
    Any ideas
    Also, Im curious if anyone knows a photographs of this bag being used in the field.

And a marking of course.
    Best Regards
    Jacob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Molotov cocktails carrying bag  

Very interesting. I have not seen these before and would love to see these on period photographs. Thanks for showing!!

Yes a very interesting piece. I have never seen one of these before either.

Dom
    ?

Transport of Molotov cocktails on the field .

?

Pretty cool stuff!

Thanks for your kind comments and Dom for adding this pic to this topic. Im still curious if anyone has seen any photographs of this bag being used in the field. Also Im curious when Molotov cocktails era in RKKA ended. So far I’ve thought this was by the begin of 1943 but I recall seing a instruction with soldier with epaulettes drawn which means this was printed at least in 1943.