Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

My Plash palatka

Article about: Gentlemen, Please take a look at the Plash Palatka I just received. I bought it from a canadian-finnish collector. It is stamp dated, but has leather re-inforced stake holes. It seems that s

Default My Plash palatka

Gentlemen,

Please take a look at the Plash Palatka I just received.

I bought it from a canadian-finnish collector. It is stamp dated, but has leather re-inforced stake holes. It seems that some think that the leather reinforcements were only a post war addition to capes, but this one seems to prove them wrong (unless it is a fake stamp).

The cape itself seems to have been dragged through half of Europe by the owner during the 1944-45 period. It has tears, stains, multiple field repairs and a nice overall "been there" appearance. And that is why I love it.

I hope you like the photos. I would like to hear from the experts on this one.

Best regards,

Gus
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Plash palatka   My Plash palatka  

My Plash palatka   My Plash palatka  

My Plash palatka   My Plash palatka  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Plash palatka
    P
    Many

Default Re: My Plash palatka

Hi Gus, leather grommets and cloth stitched reinforcements are both seen in period items.

Looks fine to me.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Gus, leather grommets and cloth stitched reinforcements are both seen in period items.

Looks fine to me.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade,

Thanks for your reply. I mentioned the leather reinforced grommets because I had always thought, and heard at our local collectors meetings, that leather denoted post-war capes, whereas stiched reinforcements were an indication of wartime samples. One always learn something new every day.

Glad that you give your "thumbs up" on the cape. Thanks.

Regards,

Gus

Gus,

Leather is less common that stitched only. There were a couple of factories turning out Plasch like you have with leather grommets. I have never seen one dated this late, but that is just what I have seen. I have two sections of a Soviet staff tent that also have grommets like this and one 41 dated plasch as well.

Your collector friends are not totally wrong. The grommets are a good place to start as virtually all postwar examples have leather grommets, but few wartime do. However, plasch with thin leather grommets like yours are often worth a second look. They are often passed over by the leather = postwar thinkers.

Can I ask if the leather is on both sides of the corner holes or just one?

Quote by Wesley's Dad View Post
    Gus,

Leather is less common that stitched only. There were a couple of factories turning out Plasch like you have with leather grommets. I have never seen one dated this late, but that is just what I have seen. I have two sections of a Soviet staff tent that also have grommets like this and one 41 dated plasch as well.

Your collector friends are not totally wrong. The grommets are a good place to start as virtually all postwar examples have leather grommets, but few wartime do. However, plasch with thin leather grommets like yours are often worth a second look. They are often passed over by the leather = postwar thinkers.

Can I ask if the leather is on both sides of the corner holes or just one?

Michael,

Thanks for your comment. The cape has the leather reinforcements only on one side. Here is a picture of the other side, which only has thread reinforcement.

You are quite right about overpassing capes with leather reinforcements. Actually the seller thought he had a postwar cape all the time due to the leather reinforced stake holes. He never examined it thoroughly, as he displayed it folded , overlooking the stamp. It was only after he unfolded it for the photos of the auction that he discovered it was a late war dated palatka.

Regards,

Gus
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Plash palatka  

Gus,

It's a dirty one, but good. You bought this from Tero in Canada correct? He was a good customer of ours when I was sales manager for Ostfront Militaria. I have been following his auctions closely and he has quite a bit for sale this week as well. I think the best is gone already though. From the last round, I bought a couple items as well.

Quote by Wesley's Dad View Post
    Gus,

It's a dirty one, but good. You bought this from Tero in Canada correct? He was a good customer of ours when I was sales manager for Ostfront Militaria. I have been following his auctions closely and he has quite a bit for sale this week as well. I think the best is gone already though. From the last round, I bought a couple items as well.
    Michael,

Yes, I bought it from Tero in Canada. He auctioned some nice items and I got this cape. He seemed honest and Dimas commented he had good material. The cape was not the best of the lot, but it is quite decent.

Yes, he is auctioning some other pieces right now on Ebay. The item that has catched my eye is a captured soviet flag.

Regards,

Gus

?

A very nice плащ-палатка!
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Quote by Dimas View Post
    A very nice плащ-палатка!
    Dimas,

Thanks for the comment and for pointing me to the Ebay auction. If you would not have mentioned it, I would have missed it completely.

Regards,

Gus