Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

My Shashka (first post)

Article about: Forgive my ignorance of the proper terminology in regards to this saber. I typically only collect WWII era US. (I am also a reenactor) A couple of years ago I stumbled across a sword in a lo

Holloman
    ?

Default My Shashka (first post)

Forgive my ignorance of the proper terminology in regards to this saber. I typically only collect WWII era US. (I am also a reenactor)

A couple of years ago I stumbled across a sword in a local pawn shop. Being familiar with WWII era blades, I took a gamble on it beleiving it to be original. I paid $40.00.

There are tons of Cryllic (?) cartouches on the sword, and a date of 1930. The pommel features the CCCP, Hammer & Sickle, and a star. There are sections that appear to have been filled in with lead solder. The scabbard is wood fiber and retains about 10% of its olive paint.

How much is this worth?
    Is it possible that there are German markings under the solder?
    Where could I sell this for fair market value? (I don't want to do ebay with so many fakes on there)

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS

Default Re: My Shashka (first post)

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Please read the forum rules concerning the posting of images.

Do not use outside image hosting websites.

Thank you.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Holloman
    ?

Fixed. Any comments welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Shashka (first post)   My Shashka (first post)  

My Shashka (first post)   My Shashka (first post)  

?

sorry to say, not even close. If you look to 'slavic ' letters and compare them to Slavic alphabet you will get the picture.

Here is another one of those fakes.

But hey, 40 backs, would make a nice wall hanger or a good shashka for re-enhancing
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Shashka (first post)  

Olive paint was used by the Chinese to paint over all sorts of things that had come into their possession which included ex-Soviet was material that had been given to them, or otherwise come under their control. (The Russians used black paint.) And there is no question that modern fakers are manufacturing swords that many times have a curious blend of scripts. So while it could be a fake, I would like to see some better images of the pommel which seems to have a higher relief style that is not as typical of Chinese fakes. And perhaps some of the other details which are harder to fake that are just too difficult to see in the images posted. $40.00 is probably what the postage alone would be from China, so you certainly did not get hurt with this purchase no matter how it turns out. FP

Some additional information, as this is what we should be seeing (image via the Internet). FP
    Attached Images Attached Images My Shashka (first post)