Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need a translation from a Soviet WWII Cigarette Case recovered from a LA-5 crash

Article about: Need a translation from a Soviet WWII Cigarette Case recovered from a LA-5 crash Here's the front. Inside is an inscription. I highlighted the words as best I could in the first photo. Imgur

?

Default Need a translation from a Soviet WWII Cigarette Case recovered from a LA-5 crash

Need a translation from a Soviet WWII Cigarette Case recovered from a LA-5 crash

Here's the front.

Inside is an inscription.

I highlighted the words as best I could in the first photo.

Here is the story that came with it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need a translation from a Soviet WWII Cigarette Case recovered from a LA-5 crash
    P
    Many

On the front- „Beat fascists. Misha (Mikhail)”
    On the second side I can’t figure one word but the general sense is „ To Nardeits (??) Shabaev in commemoration of combat in 563 fighter aviation regiment in 1942. 12.10.1943”
    Cool item by the way.

?

Quote by Marinecollector42 View Post
    On the front- „Beat fascists. Misha (Mikhail)”
    On the second side I can’t figure one word but the general sense is „ To Nardeits (??) Shabaev in commemoration of combat in 563 fighter aviation regiment in 1942. 12.10.1943”
    Cool item by the way.
    Thanks for adding another piece to the rough translation I have so far. Was curious what the 563 was.

So pretty much, the rough translation so far is,

"To Tvardyets and to Shabayev. In commemoration of combat in Stalingrad, 563 fighter aviation regiment in 1942. 12.10.1943”

Hope someone comes along who can translate it more finely.

?

Just wanted to give an update on this.

Been trying to find out some research on the pilot/owner of this case but have not been able to find much, mostly because I can't read Russian when trying to research, and trying to translate name/words between English and Russian have proven to be another roadblock.

Are there members here who are able to research such a thing?

Really would like to find his war records as this is such a unique piece.

?

The first words: "Гвардейцу Шабаеву..." ( to Guard Shabaev...)

?

I contacted Auke about possibly researching this, and he was able to find documents about the pilot.

He is currently doing research on it and I will update this thread as I get more info.

From what he found so far,

The pilot's name was Mikhail Grigoryevich Shabayev.

- Unit order and citation for an Order of the Red Star, awarded on July 10, 1943 when he was a Senior Sergeant serving as a senior pilot in the 116th Fighter Regiment. It states he flew 74 combat sorties and shot down 1 enemy aircraft and details some of his missions;

- Unit order and citation for an Order of the Red Banner, awarded on October 21, 1943 when he was a Junior Lieutenant and flight leader in the 116th Fighter Regiment. It states he has now flown 141 combat sorties, took part in 25 aerial battles and shot down 9 aircraft, and details some of his missions;

- Report from Corps headquarters to the Personnel Losses Directorate, stating he went missing in action on November 19, 1943;

- Order from the Main Personnel Directorate dated March 11, 1947, stating he is considered killed in action and removed from the rolls.

- - ------- - -

Research 2
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need a translation from a Soviet WWII Cigarette Case recovered from a LA-5 crash   Need a translation from a Soviet WWII Cigarette Case recovered from a LA-5 crash  

Need a translation from a Soviet WWII Cigarette Case recovered from a LA-5 crash   Need a translation from a Soviet WWII Cigarette Case recovered from a LA-5 crash  

Need a translation from a Soviet WWII Cigarette Case recovered from a LA-5 crash   Need a translation from a Soviet WWII Cigarette Case recovered from a LA-5 crash  

?

Got the rest of the research back.

Any help with translating these would be much appreciated because I can't read Russian.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need a translation from a Soviet WWII Cigarette Case recovered from a LA-5 crash   Need a translation from a Soviet WWII Cigarette Case recovered from a LA-5 crash  

Like said with the Red Star, best to contact Auke or Igor. They both do an excellent job for a fair price

?

This a very interesting and unique historical object!
    Congrats on it!

?

Quote by grimes View Post
    Here is the story that came with it.

Do you by chance have the rest of the story? This looks like the first page.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast