Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Russian Cossack Sword Reproduction Or Period Piece?

Article about: I wanted to see what everyone here thought about this sword and it’s markings? I know there are a lot of reproductions of this sword around. Thanks for your help. Thanks, Rob

Default Russian Cossack Sword Reproduction Or Period Piece?

I wanted to see what everyone here thought about this sword and it’s markings? I know there are a lot of reproductions of this sword around. Thanks for your help.

Thanks, Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian Cossack Sword Reproduction Or Period Piece?   Russian Cossack Sword Reproduction Or Period Piece?  

Russian Cossack Sword Reproduction Or Period Piece?   Russian Cossack Sword Reproduction Or Period Piece?  

Russian Cossack Sword Reproduction Or Period Piece?   Russian Cossack Sword Reproduction Or Period Piece?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Russian Cossack Sword Reproduction Or Period Piece?
    P
    Many

?

Seems it's a fake.

Wish I could help authenticate but eaither way looks very cool.

John

Thanks for the input guys! I don’t own the sword but saw it for sale. I was suspicious it might be a reproduction but didn’t know. Please let me know if any one recognizes it as a reproduction or an original for certain.

Thanks, Rob

Looks like a fake. In Cyrillic the letter L, as here underneath the 223 is not written correct. It should be written as Л. The L as we know it in the west doesn't exist in Cyrillic.

Edit: I am in no way expert on these swords. Just comment on my observation of the wrongly used stamping.

Imperial and Soviet Shashkas are valuable swords and often sell for thousands. This is the reason they have been so heavily faked. I would have to agree with other members that it is indeed a modern made sword, most likely Chinese. The photos shown are not ideal quality, but one can surmise on a few conclusions.

Firstly, I agree we do not see the Western letter ‘L’ on originals. If we further investigate by this point alone we will see other examples of this sword (this one below on Ebay) with the incorrect ‘L’ marking that also raise a few red flags. Note the very poor markings on the pommel. The hammer and sickle appear that a child has drawn them, and the star is also horrible. I understand we can’t see the pommel on the OP example, and a photo of this would help; but from my experience I would suggest it would most likely portray poorly like the example below. In any case there is a unequivocal link between ‘L’ marked shashkas and poor quality make. This is easy for anyone handy on Google to discover.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian Cossack Sword Reproduction Or Period Piece?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Russian Cossack Sword Reproduction Or Period Piece? 

In case you can view the pommel. I will also show some examples of what the pommel markings should look like. One can see the contrast with the poor example above. These were not always artistic masterpieces but never as crude as seen on the above ‘L’ marked fake example.

Lastly, in my observation; there seems to be a direct link between Chinese made swords and a longer ricasso. One can study many originals and see that the ricasso is somewhat shorter than on obvious fakes. Although in regard to the longer ricasso, I am not yet 100% certain.

I should say here, I am not an expert. I only collected swords for a short period but in a similar vein I studied the Shashka fervently for a possible purchase in the past.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian Cossack Sword Reproduction Or Period Piece?   Russian Cossack Sword Reproduction Or Period Piece?  

Attached Images Attached Images Russian Cossack Sword Reproduction Or Period Piece? 

Thanks for the information and all the helpful and photos. Russian swords like this are something I had never been offered for sale before so it’s one of those things I know nothing about!

Thanks, Rob