Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Show purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and belt

Article about: I guess I was focused on Russian items at a show as I picked up a couple of NOS STV Magazine pouches to go with my matching, non import and unfurbed rifle. Both pouches have a 1941 cartouche

?

Default Show purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and belt

I guess I was focused on Russian items at a show as I picked up a couple of NOS STV Magazine pouches to go with my matching, non import and unfurbed rifle. Both pouches have a 1941 cartouche and are in Mint/unused condition. I already had a WWII SVT pouch but I liked these two because they are a matching pair. Also found a early waist belt, dated 1931 or could be a 7, that I will put the pouches on. The pouches have the extra short flap inside where you can load and divide the four 5 shot clips of ammo in the back area or just carry two magazines.

Also found a couple of NOS T-33 holsters, both cartouche dated 1941. I already have a holster for my bring back papered 1939 TT-33 that I bought for it. But I never felt confident that the holster I bought was WWII issue even though it had a faint/light 1942 stamp on the back . So I've been searching for a correct holster for a long time and finally I spotted these two.
    The pouches and holsters are still a bit flattened from apparently being stacked for years in in storage.

Ray

I do want to get a nice original condt. SSH39 helmet also

Show purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and belt
    Last edited by RayG; 10-27-2013 at 09:25 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Show purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and belt
    P
    Many

?

Ok, I am really a novice at collecting WWII Russian field equipment and accessiories so I spent a few hours researching the web for WWII period Russian EM waist belts and only found two that were I'd as pre war belts having brass buckles that were some what similar to the one I bought and they were identified as Imperial to pre WWII cavalry or Artillery belts. Most of the belts I saw were WWII belts with steel buckles. When did they change to steel buckles?
    Also I'm pretty sure the date of the belt is 1931 not 1937. I also saw that many of the belts were given the length of any where from 90-130 cm. Where as my belt is stamped size 81. Then I realized the measurements of those belts were probably being taken from tip to tip of the belts because most likey the actual size stamps were no longer visible. I don't have my belt handy but I recall the overall length was longer then the 81 cm, 31" size So tip to tip, I'm sure it would match some of the other lengths. Also would assume the belts had to be made long enough to be able to fit around heavy clothing or overcoats as they had no length ability adjustment like US belts.

Open for any other opinions on the belt, Ray
    Last edited by RayG; 10-30-2013 at 12:25 PM.

?

Hi Ray
    Nice gear. The belt is pre WWII Estonian Army. For privates. K.V.S.T (Kaitseväe Sadulsepa Töökoda) stands for Army's Saddlery Workshop. Under that a stylized bow and arrow and roman II? (for February) and 1931. Triangular stamp indicates II Soomusrong (2'nd armoured train). And shows that the belt was taken into use in that unit in the year 1931. Units later on, when receiving the clothing and gear put their own inventory marks on them.
    Regards
    K.

?

Thank you kass. That's really interesting the belt is an Estonian Army belt and from an armoured train unit no less. The country must have had less then a million population in the 1930's so it probably didn't have too large of an Army. I appreciate that information on the belt. Ray

?

Hi Ray.
    Population in Estonia was 1 134 000 in 1939. I do not know the number of men service. There was some 60 000 men in Militia (Home Guard). If there would have been a mobilization then the Army would have consisted of, approx. some 110 000 men.
    After Soviet occupation Estonian Army were transformed into 22nd Territorial Corps of the RKKA. Clothing and equipment remained Estonian but the insignias were replaced. Some Estonians, who, when the war broke out, were transferred to Russia and stayed there and were later part of the Estonian Rifle Corps, are often seen on the photos wearing Estonian Army belts. Mostly officers though. Clothing and equipment was then all Russian origin. Maybe some anomalies occurred. Like Estonian overcoat with replaced buttons (three leopards into star) and cut shoulder boards etc. Here's one named Estonian tunic with RKKA engineers collar tabs that are all original to it. The owner served in the Estonian Army and was about to have he's leave from the Army when the power changed and he had to stay longer. When there was a retreat and evacuation to Russia he escaped.
    Regards
    K.

?

Thanks again kass. Also just for the fun of it, I found some photos of Estonian Armoured Trains. At least they were on this site showing Estonia military photos. Axis History Forum • estonia's army There are more photos and info on that site also, Ray

Show purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and belt
    Last edited by RayG; 11-12-2013 at 06:49 PM.

?

These photos are from the "War of Independence" (1918-1920). They did not have belts like this then. Belts like yours came into use in 1924. When the WWII started some Russian troops used Estonian equipment and uniforms as well. Not massively though.

?

K. here are some photos including the one of the reverse you requested, Ray

Show purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and belt

?

Also in re-reading my old post I see I mentioned my desire to get a ssh39 helmet. Well shortly after I posted that I did get a nice helmet from member Wesley's Dad and except for some small blemishes of the paint, it's in about mint condition. Ray

Show purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and beltShow purchases, WWII SVT pouches, Holsters and belt
    Last edited by RayG; 12-13-2015 at 02:57 PM.