Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

show your period russian buckles

Article about: by meyerse Wouldn't the one with the hook be post war? I thought if the buckle was in your left hand when hooking it up it was made after 1952? This is what I thought also??? I saw another p

?

Default show your period russian buckles

I'd like to add to my collection a russian period buckle since a while, but I am still confused, since I am no expert on this field, on spotting the differences between those pre 1945 and those post.
    Guys, please post your pre 1945 buckles (both enlisted/NCO and officer's) and help me with some advices on how to recognize them. They are often offered on the net, but i feel that very few are period buckles.

regards

Matt

PS - by the way, if you want to part with one of yours, I'm here

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement show your period russian buckles
    P
    Many

Default Re: show your period russian buckles

Hi Matt, I don't have much to share here. What you have to bear in mind is that Red Army enlisted men did not have a belt buckle in the German style. They wore an open frame style buckle. Have a look at the pic I have included which shows a typical version. In fact, this one is 1943 Canadian made for the Red Army.

There was a brass belt buckle introduced as the "M1943" but this did not get issued until postwar I believe. You find these in brass and later in steel.

Officers wore either a open frame buckle or the well known Red Star design in brass.

The Navy did wear a brass belt buckle with anchor design.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture show your period russian buckles  

?

Just a one picture with period M 40 buckle, found near Leningrad- Nevski Pyatachok, some of them was found at the Leningrad front near Auvere-Narva strongpoints 1944 year.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture show your period russian buckles  

?

hello Dimas,

very nice one !

Hi Dimas, this is interesting because I have only ever heard of these being called M1943 buckles in many books. I have not heard of M40 before?

Cheers, Ade.

?

I've seen these buckles before, offered by a guy I used to buy relics. They looked ok to me, but I have no knowledge to spot the difference between pre or after 45 pieces...

?

There a lot of differences, I need to find a couple I have for comparision

?

A couple of other pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture show your period russian buckles   show your period russian buckles  

Quote by Dimas View Post
    A couple of other pics

Wouldn't the one with the hook be post war? I thought if the buckle was in your left hand when hooking it up it was made after 1952?

It is my understanding that the rectangular brass Hammer, and Sickle style belt buckle was first issued in 1936, under an addendum to the 1935 uniform regulations. It was somewhat limited, but did exist. It was mostly issued to senior NCOs, as a means of easy distinction on the field. I have also read that there were subdued versions of this style buckle post 42.

What we most commonly see on the net is definitely post GPW, but fairly close in shape. The biggest difference that I can see, is that the early ones were not as well engraved, and the fidelity of detail is not a crisp, or sharp. This could of course be attributed to wear, rather than poor quality, or workmanship. I have only seen two of the 1936 -1942 style, and they were in a museum in the Ukraine.

Boridin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast