Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Simply - what is it?

Article about: This came along with a bunch of DDR NVA gear but appears to be Soviet Russian. I think it a container for some kind of flare or other pyrotechnic but it seems to have been "repurposed&q

Default Simply - what is it?

This came along with a bunch of DDR NVA gear but appears to be Soviet Russian.

I think it a container for some kind of flare or other pyrotechnic but it seems to have been "repurposed" as very many items like this are in most armies.
    The inside is dusty which seems to be from something that was dirtied with earth which immediately made me think of tent pegs etc.

It is an interesting item mainly because it might tell a tale of make do and mend ingenuity as exist amongst soldiers the world over!
    BTW the material appears to be polythene or similar.

I am sure someone will know exactly what this is and what the 2nd hand use was?

Simply - what is it?Simply - what is it?Simply - what is it?

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 07-08-2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: add pics
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Simply - what is it?
    P
    Many

?

After some seaching. It would appear they are RPG “booster tubes” or “tubes for the stabilisation fins”.

Seems to be tons of variations, colours and different types for different rpgs. Will keep looking in to it.

One militaria dealer said given the water proof nature of these tubes they were great for storing things like maps or medical kit. So your idea of tent pegs is probably right!

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    This came along with a bunch of DDR NVA gear but appears to be Soviet Russian.

I think it a container for some kind of flare or other pyrotechnic but it seems to have been "repurposed" as very many items like this are in most armies.
    The inside is dusty which seems to be from something that was dirtied with earth which immediately made me think of tent pegs etc.

It is an interesting item mainly because it might tell a tale of make do and mend ingenuity as exist amongst soldiers the world over!
    BTW the material appears to be polythene or similar.

I am sure someone will know exactly what this is and what the 2nd hand use was?

Simply - what is it?Simply - what is it?Simply - what is it?

Regards

Mark
    These are RPG propellant charge containers.

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    After some seaching. It would appear they are RPG “booster tubes” or “tubes for the stabilisation fins”Seems to be tons of variations, colours and different types for different rpgs. Will keep looking in to it.One militaria dealer said given the water proof nature of these tubes they were great for storing things like maps or medical kit. So your idea of tent pegs is probably right!
    Thanks for the reply, I figured it must be from some kind of expendable munition or component and this exactly the kind of re-purposing I and many of my colleagues would have done.

You would not believe how much of a soldiers kit needs to be kept dry yet no waterproof container is provided.

Necessity is the mother of invention as they say and a common practice amongst my peers was to use something like the plastic or earlier metal oval shaped containers that once contained either fuses or CS pellets to protect the precious ciggies and matches (these fit nicely into a pocket and I made a survival kit in one - might still have it somewhere)

Regards

Mark

PS I just had an idea for a thread!
    Last edited by Watchdog; 07-08-2019 at 06:09 PM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Very interesting! I can understand the appreciation such a disposable item like this would have in a jungle.

Looking forward to seeing that new thread.

Would Circle 11 have been the arsenal code for Poland?
    I believe the cap of this tube is Circle 10 which would've been Bulgarian if I'm not mistaken?