Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet Gas Masks and Bags

Article about: I am a reenactor trying to find something I can use and abuse in the field without messing us an original. I recently bought the following items-how good do they look for use? Post-War Czech

shlaber1
    ?

Default Soviet Gas Masks and Bags

I am a reenactor trying to find something I can use and abuse in the field without messing us an original. I recently bought the following items-how good do they look for use?

Post-War Czech bag I am in the process of converting-I just need to figure out how to take the gosh darn studs off. Anyone have any suggestions?

I think these may be post-war Polish gas masks (I bought them from Poland for $25 shipped a piece). The screw in piece on the hose to the filter appears to be too large, so I am going to replace it with a post-war Soviet made civilian tube piece.

2. # ADS

Default Re: Soviet Gas Masks and Bags

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Nice to see another female Soviet re-enator here.

I would suggest removing the press studs by either very careful use of a grinder or prying them off. But you are going to have to be very careful not to damage the surrounding cloth. Good luck!

Here are three of my original gas mask bags. As you can see you could simply remove the side pouches entirely. But if you wish to make it an early model it might be worth making new pouches in order to get the sizes right.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Gas Masks and Bags  

shlaber1
    ?

You know what...I think I just may remove the pockets. Thanks for the suggestion!

The gas masks that you have are 1960's, 1970's Polish MUA and OM14's but its unusual that some have green painted valve assemblys so they might be Russian......

shlaber1
    ?

Thanks for the info-now here is the hard part...

Are the bags and masks too terribly different that they will not work for WW2 Soviet?

Personally I'd say that you would get off with the bags after you have carried out the modifications that Ade mentioned, the masks would only really be good for something to fill the pouch, as they are nothing like Second World War Russian masks such as the ShM1 and O-8 masks. Probably the best choice for an accurate gas mask for re-enactment would be a grey Russian 1970's GP5 which has a smaller valve assembly than your masks and its very easy to get too, also needed would be a fabric covered hose with 40mm RG fittings and the filters you have would probably do fine, after a new coat of paint to match the real thing.

shlaber1
    ?

Where can you get the fabric hoses?

Here is my original wartime respirator. Note the rubber hose.

Personally, I think those masks would do fine for what are simply bag fillers.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Gas Masks and Bags  

well based on Ades photo of his genuine mask, it doesnt seem you need a fabric covered hose as his is just black rubber, and the metal parts have been painted so you should try to make you mask as close to Ades as posible. The most difficult part of making a replica mask is removing the steel band which holds the exhale/inhale valve assembly, taking off the outlet valve gaurd and moving the whole assembly further inside the mask then securing it with wire and tape.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.