Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stamps/markings in soviet field equipment

Article about: Guys, It seems at first glance to be just as fraught with fakes as the German market? I will keep my eyes peeled. Thanks. Jock

Default Stamps/markings in soviet field equipment

Gentelmen,

I will post several markings found on pieces of soviet equipment. Even though they are marginal pieces, for me it is quite important to show them here, just for the sake of learning about their authenticity, so other collectos can be aware and avoid them, or know what to look for when buying them in case they are legit.

I will start with a flask:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stamps/markings in soviet field equipment   Stamps/markings in soviet field equipment  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stamps/markings in soviet field equipment
    P
    Many

Default Re: Stamps/markings in soviet field equipment

Here is a shovel/spade:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stamps/markings in soviet field equipment   Stamps/markings in soviet field equipment  

A PPSH-41 drum magazine pouch:

A backpack/mieshok:

This one I suspect it is post war, due to the fact that it has an external pocket and that it has two different stamps instead of one. But I might be wrong.

Stamps/markings in soviet field equipment   Stamps/markings in soviet field equipment  

?

I don't like the canteen cover, it looks to me circa 80's era and the stamp is not good and is too fresh. Entrenching tool is properly marked and is good, the PPSh41 ammo pouch is good, but post war, backpack is 1960's-70's era and with fake stamps.I

f you are seeking for a good set, just contact Espenlaub militaria, and ask what are you looking for, they will easily help you with that stuff, also as the forum member you'll got discount too.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Hi Gus, I agree with all the points raised by Dimas. But this is a good thread idea and a great learning tool.

Cheers, Ade.

As usual, thanks Dimas and Ade for being so helpful.

You take for granted that these small pieces of equipment will not be forged, due to the relatively low price they have, but I see it is not always so.

In any case, if I understood correctly, the canteen cover in itself is not different from wartime specimens, the difference being the markings.

Regarding the backpack, apart from the external pocket, I don´t seem to find any difference to wartime pieces I have seen in books and militaria dealer´s sites (such as the wondeful Espenlaub Militaria web page). The stamp would also be a giveaway in case someone removes the external pocket to disguise it as a wartime piece.

As for the shovel, I bought it recently, after seeing tons and tons of shovels that were supposely "soviet" GPW pieces, but doubted and never went for one until I saw the date and the OTK (Otdel Tehnicheskovo Kontrolya) quality control markings on this shovel. I don´t know if other markings (such as a Star and the name Stalin) found on other spades is also genuine soviet GPW or not. Now I only need a genuine WWII cover.

I will take Dimas´s advice and get ASAP a Ppsh magazine pouch and a canteen cover, both WWII to replace the ones I have.

Regards,

Gus

?

In any case, if I understood correctly, the canteen cover in itself is not different from wartime specimens, the difference being the markings.
    Cloth type is different
    Regarding the backpack, apart from the external pocket, I don´t seem to find any difference to wartime pieces I have seen in books and militaria dealer´s sites
    The pocket is a must difference betveen war time and after 1950;s examples. It's impossible to hide the stitching holes from the pocket.
    I think Espenlaub can help you with war time period covers too, just ask them what did you want, as I know they have some stuff which is not in their online shop
    Regards,
    Dimas

Hi Gus, from what I have seen the wartime pack is a bit smaller than the post war 1950's dated ones.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Gus, from what I have seen the wartime pack is a bit smaller than the post war 1950's dated ones.

Cheers, Ade.
    Size depends from the factory
    Regards,
    Dimas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast