Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SVT-40 Bayonet

Article about: by Wesley's Dad I think if this one is really a Finnish trophy, you did well for 95 Euro. The \\$150-\\$200 pieces on U.S. Ebay tend to all be postwar arsenal reworks which are very common and h

Default Re: SVT-40 Bayonet

Quote by Wesley's Dad View Post
    I think if this one is really a Finnish trophy, you did well for 95 Euro. The $150-$200 pieces on U.S. Ebay tend to all be postwar arsenal reworks which are very common and have little collector interest. The reworked bayonets typically have deep bluing everywhere, including the blade... and new serial numbers added with "electric pencil" or electric gravure tool.
    It depends. It is like saying that M1 clones, Danish post war M1 garands and Norwegian repainted German M35 helmets all have little collector interest.
    They all have collector interest. Although I am aware that most of the honourable members of this forum collect WWI and WWII items, I for one collect over a more broad time range (1900 - 1975), but is narrowed down geographically instead. I think the main concern for many is that they are destroyed money wise (if that makes any sense), and I find that depressing. Regardless of state, and any kind of refurbishing they may have been put though, they are equally worth if looked upon as a piece of history.
    Not to offend any one of course.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SVT-40 Bayonet
    P
    Many

There were much of them on German market for under 100 euros 2-3 years ago. I personally also like more battlefield used militaria. I know that "never buy the story" but if You are sure the story is correct it gives IMHO more value to the item. But of course, there are different collectors, some collect only mint items, some collect only rusty battlefield finds and some collect everything they can get...

I'm not into collecting mint items. The bayonet was purchased from a well know Finnish dealer, that said it came from a veterans lot and was from the front. Of course, you never know at the end.

Dom
    ?

Quote by Comrade View Post
    I'm not into collecting mint items. The bayonet was purchased from a well know Finnish dealer, that said it came from a veterans lot and was from the front. Of course, you never know at the end.
    Anyway it is a beautiful original piece

Thanks Dom!

What can you guys tell about these stamps? I know that it's from the Izhevsk factory, but is there more to it? Also, weren't these bayonets originally equipped with leather liners, when did they start using the canvas ones?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SVT-40 Bayonet   SVT-40 Bayonet  

Nice purchase. The collecting preferences regarding 'been on the battlefield' vs 'best possible (original) condition' vs 'excellent post-war refurbished' are all interesting, and have their merits, the merit of the last usually being that post war refurbished usually means most affordable.

Probably in 10 years, even the electro-pencilled, reconditioned SVT bayonets will be expensive.

I may be drifting off topic. Nice bayonet!

Quote by Red Falcon View Post
    Nice purchase. The collecting preferences regarding 'been on the battlefield' vs 'best possible (original) condition' vs 'excellent post-war refurbished' are all interesting, and have their merits, the merit of the last usually being that post war refurbished usually means most affordable.

Probably in 10 years, even the electro-pencilled, reconditioned SVT bayonets will be expensive.

I may be drifting off topic. Nice bayonet!
    Thank you! I prefer collecting 'been on the battlefield' ones, but of course you never know at the end. So I only buy them as such, when I have a good confirmation that they have been.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, with the wartime bayonets (the much scarcer IMO) Izhevsk - a triangle, and Tula with the star. And while I never owned one of them, I seem to remember seeing at least 10 years ago a postwar Polish (?) Tokarev style bayonet with different markings? Best Regards Fred

Default Early SVT-40 bayonet

Hereby some pictures of my example. It was sold to me as a SVT-38 bayonet but I think it is not. I think it is an early SVT-40 bayonet with an upper cutting edge.

The scabbard has a webbing loop. On the pictures the tip of the blade seems to be rusted but it is just dirt. I bought the bayonet recently and for that reason I have not cleaned it yet. Some gun oil, a cleaning cloth and a copper coin do wonders.

On the blade the bayonet has the Tula star marking.

In which period is this early bayonet type exactly made and does it also fit on the SVT-38 rifle?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2