Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Russian Trench Periscope

Article about: Here are some pictures of my Russian trench periscope. It's hard to tell from the photos (my digital camera does not work too well up close) but it is dated 1941. I just wanted to know if th

?

Default WWII Russian Trench Periscope

Here are some pictures of my Russian trench periscope. It's hard to tell from the photos (my digital camera does not work too well up close) but it is dated 1941.
    I just wanted to know if the case is WWII or post-war.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Russian Trench Periscope   WWII Russian Trench Periscope  

WWII Russian Trench Periscope   WWII Russian Trench Periscope  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWII Russian Trench Periscope
    P
    Many

Default Re: WWII Russian Trench Periscope

Hi Mike, I would be happy to own it.

Really it is almost impossible to say if the case is wartime or not. Most Soviet web/canvas gear is unmarked, unlike there US/Brit/German counterparts.

One thought I do have is that there do seem to be quite a few of these periscopes on the market. Don't worry they are real! But I wonder if these optics were rebuilt post war like many of the weapons on the market today? If that is the case, the canvas covers could be post war new production.

Cheers, Ade.

Tovarishch
    ?

Hi Mike,

I have just returned from a trip to russia and have purchased the very same scope that you have there. I found it in a flea market north of st petersburg. I have a case as well but it is long enough to cover the whole length of the scope. It also has a leather loop in the middle of the shoulder strap at the ajustment buckle. There are no markings of any kind on the case. On the area where you hold the scope when using it, there is another marking. It is 19(int he middle here there is a 6 sided shape)57. i hope this is of help

many of these were reworked and show the same refurb marks you would see on the PU scope or Mosin rifle. There is also a late war TP8 model. Apparently these came in more than one color too from what I have seen. There are some experts on these on gunboards.

I've just picked one of these up, came from a US veteran, who got it off a German sniper at the end of WW2. The case is missing, any idea where I might locate one?
    thanks Pete.

Quote by M422A1 View Post
    Here are some pictures of my Russian trench periscope. It's hard to tell from the photos (my digital camera does not work too well up close) but it is dated 1941.
    I just wanted to know if the case is WWII or post-war.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Came across this post looking for information and noted the scope is the harder to find Kharkov manufacture, which probably means 1941 or earlier. I think the earlier ones had a hard case, not that this isn't wartime, just that it probably isn't the original case.

Alot of these were also sold off by the Finnish Army about 5 years ago some in the original green colour and some repaint Finnish army green most had original hard canvas covered cases with them and most with the normal SA stamps added

I obtained mine at least 10 years ago direct from the importer. With the periscopes surplused out from the PLA that was in the process of cleaning out its arms warehouses, being originally acquired as military aid from the Russians. He had about 8 or 9 which I hand picked for the optics. Selecting a wartime example from the Zagorsk Optical Mechanical Factory, and a hard case to protect it. Which in retrospect I may or may not have done better with a scarcer maker or combination - but at the time I was just happy to have one. FP