Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

B17 Crash in Connecticut

Article about: Some bad news coming out of the States today. A vintage B-17 bomber has crashed at Bradley Airport in Connecticut, with thirteen people on board. Five confirmed fatalities so far, according

Sad news hearing about one of these old pieces of history being destroyed and
    the loss of life makes it truly tragic.

I had a chance this summer to go up in a B-25 but could not afford it.
    It's not a cheap flight. Maybe next year.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

That was the Nine-O Nine. It had been here at the last Air show at MCAS Yuma. Toured it and also helped spin the prop's for a pre flight. They said they have to rotate the props 10 times around to get the oil out of the jugs/cylinders before firing it up. What a shame! May those that died RIP.

The flights are expensive and same as Todd, my wallet said No thanks at the time when they said how much. And the price increased if you wanted to sit in the Navigator/Bombardier nose section. We also had a P51 with 2 seats.That bad boy was a bargain at $1400 to fly in...

It is terrible to see that historic icon of WW2 in ruins.
    Sad day for those of us who love the B-17.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Absolutely tragic! My thoughts and prayers go out to all affected. I actually flew in this plane last year. Sad news indeed.

I also saw this - firstly very sad for those that lost their lives.

Also sad for the B-17 which looks to be a total right-off.

I saw a similar B-17 at Biggin Hill last year - magnificent aircraft.

How much were the 2 seater spitfire flights? £2,000+?

Nick

?

Terrible news to hear ,
    I heard it on the local radio in Australia and was very sad that this happened.
    A reminder of just how fragile these old planes are , even when they where new , the losses in training non combat operations were huge.
    Ive been in a 2 seater CAC P-51 Mustang at Point Cook about 25 years ago , cost me 400 AU back then , for a 20 minute flight with in flight moves.
    A true in the hands of god session once you are airborne .
    The memories are etched in my brain forever , the noise , the smell , raw power , and being upside down , pushed in every direction with G forces .
    I didn't throw up but came close .
    Was shaking like a leaf once back on the ground , wobbly to the max , ready to fall over , totally awesome experience

?

I found this NTSB video. Looks like it hit some of the lighting system when it came back to land. Then veered off the runway. With the damage seen, I am very surprised that there were passengers that survived.
    VIDEO: NTSB releases video of B-17 wreckage at Bradley | News | wfsb.com

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

The 2019 tour has been suspended.

Collings Foundation

Semper Fi
    Phil

Just don't like reading this stuff

I am amazed how much press it has received around the world and here on this forum..and yet none of it was reported locally on the news stations in the Phila. area. I watch the news every night and also World News tonight ...and nothing !
    Connecticut is not that far away.

So sad to hear about this and condolences to the families and friends of this tragic accident.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Yes, very sad indeed.

I flew in a WW2 C-47 Dakota many years ago, we flew into Duxford from Coventry Airport.

It was shaking, crackling, being blown all over the place due to turbulance and yes it was very noisy.

We landed on grass and I thought we would bounce back up in the air.. and we did..

The plane flew nose high and the seats were wobbling all over the place.

I thought the plane would fall apart.

Huge sigh of relief when we returned to Coventry safely.

As good as it was, I do remember thinking??

I will need a drink or two when this bl@@dy thing eventually lands

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2