Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

My recent absence on the forum - What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Article about: Good evening gents, I haven't been on the forum for a few weeks and being keen not to be thought of as having lost interest I thought I might explain why. I am a keen motorcyclist and on Wed

mpw
    ?

All the best for a speedy recovery. It is quick and easy to fix a bike not so easy an ageing human so take it easy. These things always happen when least expected and a pedestrian running out like that is almost impossible to foresee.
    I have just got back from a 2500 mile tour of Germany and Austria without incident. I'm 60 and my friend is in his 70's so I recon you have a few more miles in you yet!

Regards, Mark

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    When I was a teenager I would cycle out on to the plain and imagine I was like the weirmacht on the Russian steppe - well you know, you have a lot of thinking time on a bicycle...
    I know what you mean about the tank crossings and how cautious to be. A Challenger 2 would turn a car and occupants into a dirty stain without the crew feeling it!

I too like to bicycle on Salisbury Plain but that is also a cause for great caution. One day I cycled over a hill and encountered a squadron of Dutch Leopard II moving at a pace! Discretion being the better part of valour I reversed myself only to find myself 500m along in the middle of a British infantry company mounted in Warrior MICV! I called it a day at that point and went home for a cold beer.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by mpw View Post
    All the best for a speedy recovery. It is quick and easy to fix a bike not so easy an ageing human so take it easy. These things always happen when least expected and a pedestrian running out like that is almost impossible to foresee.
    I have just got back from a 2500 mile tour of Germany and Austria without incident. I'm 60 and my friend is in his 70's so I recon you have a few more miles in you yet!Regards, Mark
    Congrats to you Mark I bet that was fantastic!

Yep, still life in the old dog yet!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    Mark, make sure you listen carefully to the Doctors advice, your body will need time to heal.

I should know.

1986, Christmas Eve, coming back home after a few beers, I decided to be the "Suicidal Walker" and crossed a very busy road..

Two months later, I was finally allowed out of Hospital.

Compound Fracture of the skull, depressed fracture of the cheek bone, and a chunk of my left ear was eaten by the car windscreen.

What a Christmas that was!

Don't rush into any thing Mark, take it easy mate and good luck with your recovery.
    Well, a tale from the other side!
    I am nothing if not sensible enough to listen to the experts and take their advice. The mission is to get fixed and like anything if the job is worth doing (and to me it is) it's worth doing right!

Regards

Mark

Quote by wpheaton View Post
    Dear Mark, I am so sorry to hear of your accident. I have been riding for almost 60 years from mini bikes to motorcycles and I am thankful to God that I have avoided all accidents. I ride very little now, about 200 miles a year because of the danger on the road. Pictured is my 1968 Triumph Bonneville T120R 650cc. I had one back in the early 70s and bought this one about 10 years ago. I also have a 1970 TR6 Attachment 1233638Attachment 1233641

Thanks,

William
    Thanks William, that is a stunning piece of vintage British metal from a time when we still had a motorcycle manufacturing industry to speak of. You are clearly a man of discerning taste!

When I was 14 yrs the weapon of choice for my cohorts and I was the BSA Bantam which we would strip down and tear-arse around a farmers field. Not a video game in sight. Happy days!!!

Regards

Mark

Thoughts are with you Mark ,Get well soon and glad to hear you are on your way down the road to recovery
    Regards James

Ouch mate, what a nightmare. I spent a,month in hospital after a bike crash in 1980, still have a pin and plate in my leg and hip.
    I came off last year at about 35 on a patch of gravel, my right hand is still not 100%, don't mend so quickly any more.

Get well soon and get back on a bike asap.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Wow i feel your pain as i've had broken ribs myself, came down with a dose of flu at the same time and as i bet you know coughing and broken ribs are a very bad combination. I consider myself pretty luck because in 41 years of biking the worst i had was a badly smashed right knee, it's now full of stainless steel plates and screws.
    Did you still have the standard exhaust on the bike at the time of the accident? the bike i am riding now a Honda hornet 600 still has the standard exhaust (described as sounding like Barbara Cartland farting into a velvet glove, when riding a bike with a loud exhaust i get far fewer tit head pedestrians stepping out in front of me, on the Honda they are stepping out a hell of a lot more, maybe loud pipes do save lives?
    Anyway i wish you a fast recovery!....

I am amazed at how many of you have been in accidents. I must be a real blessed person to have not had any. I trust I can keep it that way.

William

Our NHS is a wonderful thing, I've got part of my hip (muscle) inside my skull.

I often wonder how it's getting on..

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast