Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Small D Day related collection

Article about: With the 75th anniversay of D Day upon us this week I just wanted to share some D Day related items I got together about 20 years ago, (over a period of a couple of years) they seemed hard t

Default Small D Day related collection

With the 75th anniversay of D Day upon us this week I just wanted to share some D Day related items I got together about 20 years ago, (over a period of a couple of years) they seemed hard to track down then ! M26 USN Lifebelt, M5 Assault Gas Mask & bag, gas brassard, which as can be seen was folded up & stored for many years, some invasion money, the Eisenhower letter, given to all servicemen involved with the invasion, which has some interesting handwritten info on back (will try & research one day), an April 1944 dated map of the Omaha beach area & 3 nice cut edge wartime patches , the 1st & 29th are early greenbacks, the Ranger Diamond took a while to source. I went to Normandy for the first time in 1996 & came back inspired & concentrated on WW2 US militaria for 2-3 years, alongside TR. With the release of Saving Private Ryan in 1998, it fueled my passion even more !
    Regards
    Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small D Day related collection   Small D Day related collection  

Small D Day related collection   Small D Day related collection  

Watching today's & yesterday's D Day celebration events in Normandy & Portsmouth were truly moving & touching. It also makes you realise the important task we, as collectors, have in preserving historical items, right across the board, for future generations.
    Regards
    Paul

Hello everyone: The famous document addressed to "soldiers, sailors and airmen ......" is it very rare or is it relatively easy to obtain?
    Thanks for your information.
    Best regards.

Santi

Thank you for sharing Paul!

Mart

Quote by TABSTABS1964 View Post
    Hello everyone: The famous document addressed to "soldiers, sailors and airmen ......" is it very rare or is it relatively easy to obtain?
    Thanks for your information.
    Best regards.

Santi
    Hi Santi,
    I bought this in 98/99, I was lucky & eventually it came my way, I paid £15 for it then ! Have not been actively looking for one of these since then but the prices seem to be all over the place, like most things in our hobby, certain items that are connected to 'big events', makes them more desirable etc... You'll find one for sure !
    Regards
    Paul

Thank you, Paul!

Hi Guys,
    I did some research last year, on the names on the reverse of the Invasion letter, the soldiers were engineers of the 992nd Treadway Bridge Company. This unit landed on Omaha Beach (Dog Red sector), aboard LST 484, on the 3rd Tide + 2hours (D-Day - Omaha Beach - Landing Table 3T+120).
    I would say the letter was owned by a member of the company:
    Sgt Alvin Lawrence Van De Wall, died 18/12/44 (Alvin Lawrence Van De Wall : Staff Sergeant from New York, World War II Casualty).
    2nd Lt Cletus Raymond Jones died 27/04/45 (Cletus Raymond James : Second Lieutenant from Iowa, World War II Casualty)
    Sgt.Edward J Czaplicki died 01/07/45 (Edward J Czaplicki (1915-1945) - Find A Grave Memorial).
    Alvin's date of death differs by 3 days (later) & Cletus's date of death differs by nearly 20 days, yet Czaplicki's date of death is 20 days out, I'm thinking that these 2 deaths were in the midst of war, communication confusion etc..
    I'm thinking that this letter was owned by an officer(maybe commanding) or a senior NCO & he jotted down the dates the day he recieved confirmation of their deaths (the actual date being irrelevant at that point in time, more pressing things to hand), Edwards death is different, it was post 8th May, (no communication confusions due to cessation of hostilties etc..) as to John McDermott, I can't find anything ?
    Interesting to think this piece of paper journeyed from D Day, through Europe through to the war's end, the only clue to the owner is his Mom, Pop, Jack & Donna's (brother & sister...gotta be ?) birth dates !
    Best regards
    Paul
    Last edited by Pauls1970; 06-05-2021 at 10:33 PM.