Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Steves' book

Article about: Steve (HARRY THE MOLE) wrote a most interesting book on his experience in the army. Engaged in war in Ireland in the early 70's. I got tired of books on Normandy & Russia, thought I woul

?

Gent's,
    I have finished reading Steve's book and as promised I shall send this to the next person who say's they are interested.

I had heard the stories growing up from the other side," The Irish American's" and it was interesting to see what Steve's experiences were.

Steve,
    You served your country and went where you were ordered.
    You were put in a tough spot and You did your Duty!

Thank You for your service.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks for your comments Phil. It is often overlooked that British troops were sent in to Northern Ireland to PROTECT the Catholic community from the Protestants, and it was a breakaway movement of the Official IRA which seized the opportunity to further their political aims and attack the British troops. There were over 3,000 killings during the history of the 'Troubles', of which the British troops were responsible for around 300 of the deaths. The vast majority were butchered by the IRA.

Cheers,
    Steve

For some reason this posted double - so I've removed the paragraph

I recently finished Belfast Diaries and really liked that one.

I'll be the first one to admit that I am not too brilliant when it comes to studying the big-picture political and strategic backgrounds of armed conflicts, but I have always had a great interest in the first-person perspective of the men filling the proverbial boots on the ground, their personal experiences and day-to-day reality. That is exactly what this book is, and although it is - by its very nature - subjective, it is also a wholly sober, straightforward and factual account.

So I now purchased A Tough Nut to Crack as well.

?

"British troops were sent in to Northern Ireland to PROTECT the Catholic community from the Protestants"

Page 106.
    That one did catch my attention. I didn't know that.

Also the brutality between the Provo's and the Offical's was not mentioned in the effort to support the cause.
    What you were seeing was not what we were hearing.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    "British troops were sent in to Northern Ireland to PROTECT the Catholic community from the Protestants"

Page 106.
    That one did catch my attention. I didn't know that.

Also the brutality between the Provo's and the Offical's was not mentioned in the effort to support the cause.
    What you were seeing was not what we were hearing.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Indeed Phil, that's the way it was.

?

Just bumping this to the top to see if there are any other members interested in reading Steve's book before I send this back to David.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Just bumping this to the top to see if there are any other members interested in reading Steve's book before I send this back to David.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    It would be an honor for me to read it if you want to send it to me Philly Dog. I will enjoy it and offer to send to another member or back to David. I will send you my address. Let me know if you want me to pay pal you some $ for postage.

Rossi
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

?

Quote by Rossi View Post
    It would be an honor for me to read it if you want to send it to me Philly Dog. I will enjoy it and offer to send to another member or back to David. I will send you my address. Let me know if you want me to pay pal you some $ for postage.

Rossi

Sounds good Brother. I got the shipping. Just paying it forward.
    David sent to me and I'll send it your way!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Phil...just send it "Media mail". It is cheaper that way...save a few $$ on postage. You just tell the PO it's a book you are mailing
    David

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast