Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Today’s Militaria Marketplace...

Article about: Interesting to watch these Facebook Auctions as well as the solicitation offers I get weekly through my website. This week I had a potential buyer reach out with interest in buying a dress d

?

I have been respectfully schooling my pursuer and using it as a teachable moment in a day of google mania and social media gone wild. Actually it is a labor of love at times but if we don’t take the time now the future is kaput
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rossi View Post
    I have been respectfully schooling my pursuer and using it as a teachable moment in a day of google mania and social media gone wild. Actually it is a labor of love at times but if we don’t take the time now the future is kaput
    I wouldn't even bother. After the first communication and attitude, I would have ignored all further correspondence. But that is just me.

I personally think we look at this through rose colored glasses a bit. This was never a hobby for the masses. Us "older" guys, when we were younger were also in the minority. I would go to the local shows with my Dad and none of my friends had any interest in tagging along.

Also, we have a plethora of younger new members joining the forum. Eager to learn and respectful. Yes, they are in the minority but not unlike us.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I've found all along that not everyone has an idea of what things are worth. I get the "that's crazy, no way it's worth that much" quite a bit. After talking with those types, before they tell me I'm nuts, it shows that they haven't done much research and are most likely newbies. I've given up trying to explain anything. I've learned to just walk away and look for a more knowledgeable audience.

CBH
    ?

Rossi, the way I look at it, it's your belonging and you can ask any price you want.
    You have Top Shelf items which would be hard to improve on, and these carry a much higher price, then run of the mill stuff.
    Tell him to purchase one of the daggers he found for a lower price, and to leave you alone.
    One thing I can say, is I'm happy I've found this fine forum with it's wonderful group of like minded collectors, who can understand me.

It took me a little while to understand that mint items have a significantly higher price than worn items. I buy as mint as I can afford so I have mostly scraps needing an upgrade. The under 30 crowd really does not have the money to invest in the mint items and is jealous when they run across them. There is a hint of entitlement that they should have a mint item instead of a worn item but I think is is mainly from lacking knowledge. I have been actively collecting for about 6 years and am still wet behind the ears. I would say there is a college degree earned for each area you collect. US, German, SS, Japanese, Russian, Firearms from each country and finally Lugers. I do find it hopeful the under 30 crowd is at least showing up and drooling over the items. The future of collecting still has a chance.
    John

?

I wouldn't worry about it mate.
    It's a buyers and sellers free market , It fluctuates all the time.
    I do agree that the Youngsters might come across initially as a bit rude or ignorant .
    But they have been brought up in the "Want it now at the cheapest price" generation.
    If you have good stuff , there is no need to drop your pants , unless you need the money now

As with everything in life, the bubble eventually bursts. Spiralling prices mean a shrinking market amongst collectors, people have more important things to deal with in their lives than spending big wads of money on militaria. Regardless of what we as collectors may think an item is worth, the cold hard fact is that an item is only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

?

As far as facebook auctions are concerned, to me it's almost comparable to selling top shelf items at a yard sale or thrift store. I don't think people watching those auctions expect to spend much money. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the facebook marketplace was designed to compete with Craigslist, i.e. somewhere you can get a deal.

And I don't think there's necessarily waning interest in WWII amongst the "under 30 crowd". I'm 28 and have been collecting third reich militaria since I was about 10. I will say collectors my age tend to prefer American/Allied militaria because it's cheaper and less controversial. And one factor that seems to be ignored is that, for younger generations, I think reenacting has much more appeal over collecting original items. I'm no longer a reenactor myself, but after doing it for a few years I found far more people in their teens and twenties than in the collecting community. And surprisingly, very few of them had any interest in collecting original items. Personally, I prefer the original items, but I understand the appeal of reenacting and how it draws away people who, in previous decades, would've been collectors.

Anyway, just my two cents.

?

Quote by sfk20 View Post
    As far as facebook auctions are concerned, to me it's almost comparable to selling top shelf items at a yard sale or thrift store. I don't think people watching those auctions expect to spend much money. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the facebook marketplace was designed to compete with Craigslist, i.e. somewhere you can get a deal.

And I don't think there's necessarily waning interest in WWII amongst the "under 30 crowd". I'm 28 and have been collecting third reich militaria since I was about 10. I will say collectors my age tend to prefer American/Allied militaria because it's cheaper and less controversial. And one factor that seems to be ignored is that, for younger generations, I think reenacting has much more appeal over collecting original items. I'm no longer a reenactor myself, but after doing it for a few years I found far more people in their teens and twenties than in the collecting community. And surprisingly, very few of them had any interest in collecting original items. Personally, I prefer the original items, but I understand the appeal of reenacting and how it draws away people who, in previous decades, would've been collectors.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Great points. thanks for the insight and weighing in. I appreciate all opinions as our hobby twists and turns. Facistbook has sure put the kabosh to the selling of items there for sure. I would imagine Zuckerpuss would have a field day if people started showing pictures of themselves reenacting in a German or Japanese Uniform. It is the wussification of history unfortunately. The Facebook sales pages have now turned to MeWe and the dealer bashing continues about prices there as well as Facistbook. I laugh at some of the offers who come my way via my website. Likely the hobby may be turning south for those who are in it for profit. I would rather sell to someone who appreciates original items value, the time and energy to preserve them for a little less money and know they will be a good caretaker versus the flippers who are looking for a Good Buy to make a few bucks. I usually ask them "are you looking for a good buy...They say yes I am. I say well then here is your "good bye"

I am in it for the history and not the $$$ but I won't give my collection away either.

Rossi
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

I've been doing a lot of my dealing ( buying and selling) on eBay Kleinanzeigen ( I think it's something similar to craigslist) and it is always quite comical what sorts of offers you get there, one time someone wanted to sell a post war black painted M42 helmet with a completely wrecked liner for 900€ and I just said, take one 0 off of that and we might have a decent price..
    But also from the other end of the spectrum.. oh boy.. I could tell stories of people, to be honest I could write a whole play based on people that had contacted me or I had contacted on that site.
    But I always seek to see the funny side of it, as in the fact that they are often being dead serious.
    That's how I put up with this BS, I have often gone to trying to teach the unteachable on there, to no avail.
    Regardless, I still use that platform since most of my small collection did come from there, you have to look a very closely and always be patient but all the items I got there (apart from some exceptions) were indeed bargains, just that when people try to bargain on me I tend to show them the door most times
    Anyway, that've just been my experiences in "Today's Militaria Marketplace"
    Luis

But I don't sell much, just things I have to sell, as someone who still goes to school, the budget can be quite tight

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast