Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

'Berlin Hoard' Totenkopfs

Article about: I'll start off by saying that I know these are not SS skulls, but tradition badges, though I felt this section would get the biggest response from those knowledgeable on them. If this is bet

?

Default Re: 'Berlin Hoard' Totenkopfs

Mat, all yours look consistent with the ones I've handled that I've always considered authentic. You have to disregard the bright areas of solder on that one particular one and the differences in patina between the examples shown because alloys age very uniquely. Some copper/brass alloys go almost jet black, some go quite brick red etc etc. As for the solder or "welding" agent, who knows how much lead or other element was in it to make it stay bright whilst the base alloy tarnished.

This whole area is a science in itself and you really don't want to listen to armchair experts on this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 'Berlin Hoard' Totenkopfs
    P
    Many

Thanks, my concern has been simply that these are (presumably) made from the same alloy, so I would have thought the ageing would be fairly similar. Do you think the strange colouration on the back of the darker skull is perhaps a result of the (period) manufacture process and not ageing at all? I was initially worried it may be a result of poor chemical ageing, since it looks so unusual.

Mat

?

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    Do you think the strange colouration on the back of the darker skull is perhaps a result of the (period) manufacture process and not ageing at all?
    What exactly do you think strange about it?

For clarification, it's the one in the first photo; it's like an oily metallic pink /purple colouration. Maybe I'm just being paranoid over nothing, it's just something I noticed as soon as I got it, and I've never seen such on another totenkopf. This, combined with it's dark colouration sparked my concern. It looks like it's been exposed to flame perhaps, though I don't actually know if that would have this effect.

Chemical effects? Fire damage? Original appearance of alloy? Unique patina? Those are my ideas.

Mat

?

So photo 1 and 5 are of the back of the same TK?

That's correct.

Mat

Toxic here are fake Danziger skull.
    Looks similar to second one of yours skull but in different ,,patin,,
    (more polished and black painted)
    For me both of your skulls are fake (sorry) but as I wrote previously Im not a historic expert and this is my private opinion.
    And of course sometimes Im going wrong witch my opinions (:
    Peter
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 'Berlin Hoard' Totenkopfs   'Berlin Hoard' Totenkopfs  

'Berlin Hoard' Totenkopfs  

Hi Mat, they are fine in my opinion.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Does anyone know? Did any of these "Danziger" type skulls have securing pins with ridges on them? I presume these were the "Old Style" unmarked (the ones without the ridges on the securing pins)?

thanks and best regards,

-Jaeger

Quote by Jager1945 View Post
    Does anyone know? Did any of these "Danziger" type skulls have securing pins with ridges on them? I presume these were the "Old Style" unmarked (the ones without the ridges on the securing pins)?

thanks and best regards,

-Jaeger
    Is this what you mean, the serrated-edged prongs on?

Mat
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 'Berlin Hoard' Totenkopfs  

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast