Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Is This Early Deathshead Real or Fake?

Article about: I don't know if these are good enough to make even a preliminary determination regarding whether or not bonehead is real. However maybe some of you guys can discern enough to give me idea if

pierre
    ?

Default Is This Early Deathshead Real or Fake?

I don't know if these are good enough to make even a preliminary determination regarding whether or not bonehead is real.
    However maybe some of you guys can discern enough to give me idea if its real or not. I will try to get ahold of camera with decent macro capability and post better photos.

The pins are broken off and there are no markings, but for a first pattern there probably wouldn't be any markings. There is a flaw of some kind under the bottom row of teeth, maybe from a die or maybe from casting ( I hope its not from casting ). To me it looks to thin to be a casting, but I don't have a degree in metallurgy.

Its in very good shape overall, except for the pins, from the stubs they appear to have been rectangular flat. In natural light it appears silver but a bit pitted, when I photo it, it takes on a brass or bronze color, the detail ( the sutures etc. are pretty good, I just can't pick them up with this camera, photographing this stuff is not that simple. ) its very thin and weighs only 2.5 grams, but again the pins are gone and it does not flex at all.

I wish I had a better camera available now. Anyway let me know what you think given what you can see. Thanks

2. # ADS

Default re: Is This Early Deathshead Real or Fake?

i must say that i dont like it. The detail on the upper row of teeth doesnt look right to me, but that could also be because of your camera.
    Also so the transition from the teeth to the bones on the left side is a little to soft, i would like to see a more crisp outline were the teeth meet the bones (leftside). But thats just me, and i am no expert...

Im sure that Ade or one of the other members with a little more expertise can give you a reliable verdict

?

Looks like a Pakistanian cast fake
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

are you joking?these are brand new junk.

The joke is how many times one posts a real example, and how many fakes come as an echo.

But I am a patient soul, all the same.... behold a real Danziger Husaren Totenkopf on an SS cap.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is This Early Deathshead Real or Fake?