MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Early jawless-style SS skull for review

Article about: Purchased this, what I hope to be authentic, early SS skull today. Would like to throw it out to the experts and get some feedback. I should have undoubtedly checked here first but here we a

Early jawless-style SS skull for reviewWe have included this image of the Lumsden treasures many times, and no image better captures the variety of the Danziger badge, but I have no idea as to this image being the final word, nor to when, and who made these badges other than the Fa. Steinhauer und Lueck was one of them. Photo courtesy Lumsden.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early jawless-style SS skull for review
    P
    Many

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    An example similar to my enclosure in use at at the time.

The example you showed from your collection is superb, and I have no problem appreciating its beauty, it was the other example about which I wondered, but more in a wish to learn why by comparison to yours, this lesser example is considered an original, as the finish and the mounting pins leave something to be desired. I know towards the end of the Reich the standards of construction or at least finish deteriorates, but I would not expect to see such traits on a relatively early item of insignia.

Thanks for your input on this and good to see the period photos you posted and Robin's image.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Early jawless-style SS skull for review Thanks. The first item appears to be one of these buried in the ground types, of which there are many, but I am not sure if that is the case. I do not collect these badges in a loose state.

I have seen Feinzink Danziger badges, however, as in the example here, which I believe is native to this cap. The cap is or is not from the year 1935.

I would also note that, in the '14-'18 war, the use of Feinzink and pewter took hold with cap badges versus the early use of brass, Tombak, Buntmetall and other nice alloys.

That is, some of these badges might date to an earlier period, but I do not know, really.

Mr. Mint has a friend who is an advanced German cavalry collector, and he has a variety of such badges across the span from the 1890s until 1945.

Seven I think I have same skull but witch different type prongs (prongs are orginal )
    My skull is a dug (:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early jawless-style SS skull for review   Early jawless-style SS skull for review  

Last edited by Stirlitz wiedzial; 03-11-2014 at 08:07 PM.

I dont want to tell your skull has not orginal prongs.
    This type of prongs are not so common in Danziger type skulls but they exsist.
    Here is example
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early jawless-style SS skull for review   Early jawless-style SS skull for review  

Quote by Stirlitz wiedzial View Post
    I dont want to tell your skull has not orginal prongs.
    This type of prongs are not so common in Danziger type skulls but they exsist.
    Here is example
    But are they original to the type of skull that started this thread? This last example you have shown looks to be a different type/maker to the previous type you showed, whilst the other example you showed seemed very similar if not the same to the thread starter, but with different fixings.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Early jawless-style SS skull for reviewEarly jawless-style SS skull for reviewTo add confusion, here is the one I more or less consider to be solely an SS badge, but who knows really? The image of the reverse of the badge is not mine, by the way.

- - ------- - -

I think I own one of these, but it is secured to its cap. I offer no generalizations as to splints, and such, as I have made no study of these ever.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Early jawless-style SS skull for reviewEarly jawless-style SS skull for reviewTo add confusion, here is the one I more or less consider to be solely an SS badge, but who knows really? The image of the reverse of the badge is not mine, by the way.

- - ------- - -

I think I own one of these, but it is secured to its cap. I offer no generalizations as to splints, and such, as I have made no study of these ever.
    Wow; I had no idea that these were found with RZM markings.

This thread has become a very nice source of information. I am watching the discussions herein with interest.

Prongs attached to my first posted skull are 100% orginal because this skull was founded witch thiose prongs
    Second skull is of course different but also was founded witch this type prongs as attached and this way those prongs are also 100% orginal

Quote by Stirlitz wiedzial View Post
    Seven I think i have same skull but witch different type prongs (prongs are orginal )
    My skull is a dug (:
    In the Lumsden image, I count at least nine variations of the Danziger in the cap size variant, (...and the others for the smaller role, i.e. the Panzer collar badge) but I have no idea if that is a solid assertion. There are many, and what accounts for this variation is beyond me.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 03-11-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast