Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Fake Danziger Skulls

Article about: I come across so many fake skulls in my quest to increase my collection that I thought I'd start a thread about them. I'll post what I come across and compare it with real versions from my c

?

Another fake like the type in post 6, pawned off on an SS cap by emedals.........

Fake Danziger Skulls

Fake Danziger Skulls

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fake Danziger Skulls
    P
    Many

?

One more by emedals, this time both insignia are fake on this "Waffen SS Cavalry cap". Note the extra mold residue and lines around the lower jaw and lower crossbones rather than crisp struck details.......

Fake Danziger Skulls

Fake Danziger Skulls

COMPARE: REAL
    Fake Danziger Skulls

VS: FAKE
    Fake Danziger Skulls

?

Another ebay fake as in post #8

Fake Danziger SkullsFake Danziger Skulls
    Fake Danziger Skulls

?

One more poor quality cast fake on ebay....

Quote by Aldo View Post
    These are convincing to look at but have a fake rzm m1/25 marking. The only marked Daziger's are stamped S & L for Steinhauer & Lück.

REAL

Attachment 1338961Attachment 1338960

Attachment 1338963Attachment 1338964

CREDIT: CARLSSON1982
    Attachment 1338962

[/CENTER]
    The only marked Daziger's are stamped S & L for Steinhauer & Lück.
    and this Japanese firm dedicated to recreating copies for reenactors.
    I really believe that all types of danziger skulls usually are a minefield with more than 80% chance of buying a copy.

Fake Danziger Skulls click to enlarge

Sorry ,but the original size and poor quality of the images ,also enlarged, I think that lose details that are really complete in these copies that can be mistakenly identified as signs of recognition of them such as the lateral suture of the scull not complete or the poor quality of the letters which are due to that poor quality of the original images, not the copy of the skull itself.

?

I clearly don't feel the way you do about Danziger skulls. I feel I've studied them in depth enough and handled enough of them to know with some certainty when they are authentic or not. I certainly don't feel 80% of the skulls on the market are fake. Yes, the firms like the Japanese company producing these copies make a convincing copy, they do not produce the quality of the real thing. The image you show does not equal the quality and detail of the the three S&L Tk's in my collection. Thanks for your input though.

Regards, Al

?

I felt the need to address the issue brought up by member another ant about high end Japanese reproductions accounting for a large percentage of Danziger skulls on the market. While I disagree with him somewhat, I am aware of the danger of these convincing replicas fooling most people. I thank him for bringing this to my attention. I learned from F-B the importance of being able to physically examine objects to become familiar with them. Digital images, no matter how sharp are no substitute for a physical examination. I know this presents a "catch 22" scenario, since you don't have anything to compare it to until you actually acquire one. Nonetheless, I bought a few high end replica skulls to examine and to put my mind at ease since I have many authentic badges to compare with. Going forward I will only speak in generalizations because I'm aware that I am only helping the forgers improve their craft when I go into too much detail.

The first skull is this so called "Tilted" Danziger type that appears on a variety of SS and Heer Cavalry caps. At first glance it's very convincing, but the weight gave it away. Heavier than authentic badges, also lacking the proper finish and looks chunky in appearance. Upon closer scrutiny you begin to see the casting imperfections and mold residue lines. Convincing but not quite real. The top one in the first picture is the replica, you judge by what you see.

Fake Danziger Skulls

Fake Danziger Skulls

Fake Danziger Skulls

Fake Danziger Skulls

Fake Danziger Skulls

?

The S&L rzm model really presents a problem for most collectors. At first sight this looks so good that it's scary. Put aside the finish, because Danziger's came in all types of finish. They almost reproduced the weight and crispness of the real deal. It's not until you take this one down to macro photography that it begins to reveal mold residue lines and other slight imperfections very difficult to discern with the naked eye. pay close attention to the detail and continuity of the sutures. This one could fool most people including myself at first glance.

Fake Danziger Skulls

Fake Danziger Skulls

Fake Danziger Skulls

Fake Danziger Skulls

Fake Danziger Skulls

Fake Danziger Skulls

Fake Danziger Skulls

Fake Danziger Skulls

Fake Danziger Skulls
    zoom in on the nasal cavity and the extra mold residue lines

Fake Danziger Skulls
    Last edited by Aldo; 03-10-2020 at 12:30 PM.

?

I felt the need to do a follow-up on the previous post regarding the rare S&L RZM marked Danziger's. The contention of the previous poster was that most Danziger's are fake based on the fact that a company is producing a fairly high quality replica with the S&L stamping. I think I demonstrated in the two previous posts that the copies are flawed and can be identified under intense scrutiny. I wanted to now concentrate on the actual rzm stamp. Note the irregularity in the definition of the letters, they are no way near as crisp in detail as the real deal. Just look at the "&" and that will tell you all you need to know. Keep in mind I went out of my way to spend money on replicas in order to help the collecting community not as a bludgeon to anyone's post. I am grateful for anything presented that helps me further my knowledge of these badges.

FAKE

Also take note of the sloppy eye orbit opening, not cleanly punched as on a Die

REAL

Now compare to my three authentic S&L's stampings

Fake Danziger Skulls
    Fake Danziger Skulls

Fake Danziger Skulls
    Fake Danziger Skulls

Fake Danziger Skulls
    Fake Danziger Skulls

Fake Danziger Skulls
    Fake Danziger Skulls

Fake Danziger Skulls

Fantastic work Aldo, I believe this should become a pinned thread! kind regards paul

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast