Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)

Article about: Hey guys. I found a Zimmerman 499/41 skull up for sale, and I'd like to see what you guys think... Here's the skull in question (I have circled the major problem areas that concern me): The

Default Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)

Hey guys. I found a Zimmerman 499/41 skull up for sale, and I'd like to see what you guys think... Here's the skull in question (I have circled the major problem areas that concern me):

The little globule/bump on the left is strange, and I've never seen it in any other Zimmerman photo (real or fake). The same goes for the large lump between the two bones on the right...

The problem for me is that there are things I definitely want to like about this skull, such as the characteristic suture mark on the right "eyebrow," the clear detail on the backside, the appropriate maker's mark, and the proper prong attachment points. However, the previously mentioned spots worry me. I did notice "extra" bits of metal on a zinc Zimmerman in another thread, and no one called it out as a fake:

So, what's the verdict? Is this a fake, or is it simply a "unique" cupal Zimmerman?
    Last edited by daveward; 02-07-2015 at 09:16 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)
    P
    Many

The item is authentic.

Thanks, FB! I'm interested to hear what the others have to say about it... I think Zimmerman is beginning to replace the Deschler M1/52 as my favorite skull!

By the way, if this is original, what is the explanation for these strange "extra" bumps?

Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)Compare:

I see a little speck of something between the two bones on the right in your picture, but nothing like the large lump in the picture I posted... I'm curious as to what might cause this during manufacturing...

Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)Notice this image.

Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)Notice this image

In post # 7 the badge has a flaw, like a tear, which I never noticed in real life, even with a lupe, until I made the image. The cap is authentic, it came with a black SS uniform for an SD officer. The badges are authentic
    and integral to the cap.

My point: these badges vary in reality, and the variations are amplified by the pictures.

Sometimes there are features that do truly bespeak a fake.

Other times there are variations that are meaningless.

forget another little globule / bump in the jaw

and the strange and rough appearance of the rear composition

these doubts, which I did stay in a 70/30 and I not pushed the buy button.
    at that price, better to have a 99%

It is just my opiniĆ³n of "savants scull"

the seller is an authentic profesional so we take it for Original (a magnificent missed opportunity )
    Jedem das Seine

Quote by daveward View Post
    I see a little speck of something between the two bones on the right in your picture, but nothing like the large lump in the picture I posted... I'm curious as to what might cause this during manufacturing...
    what you are seeing on the right is actually a die flaw that progressed as these were being produced. This was explained to me here:

MINTY aluminum RZM 499/41 Zimmerman skull - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

William Kramer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast