Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)

Article about: Hey guys. I found a Zimmerman 499/41 skull up for sale, and I'd like to see what you guys think... Here's the skull in question (I have circled the major problem areas that concern me): The

the hole between the bone is because the attachment was being reattached on It, it is a known thing that you also find on the overhoff skull.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)
    P
    Many

Very interesting information about the die cracks, all1knew! I'm always learning new things about these skulls.

Quote by carlsson1982 View Post
    the hole between the bone is because the attachment was being reattached on It, it is a known thing that you also find on the overhoff skull.
    Wait a second. Do you mean that the little bump on the left between the bones actually a hole? I can't see it well enough to tell...

This cap badge is authentic. The title of the thread should be amended to remove un warranted doubt about it.
    The issue or issues at hand are the marks on the badge which might confuse a novice, but which an expert can easily see as normal.
    There is too much false negative material in the internet and it makes the use of these site more difficult than is warranted.

In the matter of false negative is this further example of two, rare and authentic SS caps wrongly entitled as fakes.

They are real.

Pair of dodgy SS caps.... maybe???

The title of the thread is misleading.

I changed the thread title accordingly. So, is the unique feature on the left a hole, or a bump?

Quote by daveward View Post
    I changed the thread title accordingly. So, is the unique feature on the left a hole, or a bump?
    Thanks. You aid others who follow you in their search.

As to the hole versus bump, I will leave this issue to someone who is an expert in holes and bumps.

Bob Hritz originally made a taxonomy of such badges on the German daggers site more or less in the year 2001 or so.

His tool was a fine one. I asked him often to repeat the chore here, but he decamped to other places because of other priorities.

We do not have such a taxonomy, and I am not the person to make one, as I am not as interested in this requirement as are others.

Mr. Carlsson could well do so. That is, a list with images of the types----the authentic types.

A list of the fakes is less feasible, because every quarter, new fakes appear off the assembly line which relies on our work as a reality check.

Pretty depressing.

We do have many, many images of authentic insignia here.

These threads are not handy.

And, above all else, the SS cap badge realm needs a better basis of data and evidence in primary sources.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 02-08-2015 at 06:54 PM.

I agree. From the very beginning, I was surprised that there wasn't a current "guide" for totenkopf collectors that illustrates the various maker styles and unique features of each type. I have been compiling data of authentic and fake skulls so that I can make my own, for personal use. Perhaps we could all collaborate and create one together, deciding on the images which best display the characteristics of each skull variant.

Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)As concerns the catalog, certain of the persons who purport expertise in this field do not really have it.

Facts versus legend and fantasy are also in short supply.

These issues make the project more arduous.

Hritz got tired of the flak, I think, which is sad, because what he offered was very useful.

the only other photos of I could find of the skull in question, hopefully these will help.

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41)  
    Attached Images Attached Images Interesting Zimmerman Skull (499/41) 

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast