Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Likely Real not fake?

Article about: I am now the owner of the better looking one of the 2! Good choise. To prevent further oxidation of the known Assmann skull, you'd better oil It up with WD40 or wax It. That's what I always

Default Re: Likely Real not fake?

I am now the owner of the better looking one of the 2!
    Good choise. To prevent further oxidation of the known Assmann skull, you'd better oil It up with WD40 or wax It.
    That's what I always did on my Assmann's.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Likely Real not fake?
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Calvaria View Post
    Ben
    Pls dont divide collectors for betters or worst
    Peter
    That was not my aim at all. Maybe what I wrote has been lost in translation?

Quote by carlsson1982 View Post
    Good choise. To prevent further oxidation of the known Assmann skull, you'd better oil It up with WD40 or wax It.
    That's what I always did on my Assmann's.
    WD 40 works well, i've used it on relic helmets and buckles.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips regarding conservation of the Totenkopf badge. Much appreciated. I will be sure to apply one of either vaseline or possibly WD40.

Peter - I don't think everyone understands those of us that collect these things?!!!!

Ben - I think my reason for collecting these is that I live in Western Australia and I don't get the opportunity to visit a myriad of antique dealers due to the fact that there aren't all that many that deal with militaria let alone German items over here. I only get the opportunity to get to Europe every 2 to 3 years due to work pressures, whereby I get an opportunity to see many different items and consider prices more conservatively.

I guess the high prices are due to a combination of the demand for them and also the fact that the SS were a mysterious military arm of the Third Reich and though it was a violent organisation it stills holds a lot of mystery for many people.. There are still a lot of things we don't know about it...among them minor things such as who are all the manufacturers of these items and this seems to be changing over time?

As Peter said I too would find a piece of a Focke Wulf 190 interesting as I do with all history. However I guess a piece of the airplane (depending on the part) doesn't hold as much interest due to many factors, whereas a cap badge has some interesting history of its own such as how did the badge become a skull? why? What is the history behind it? etc. Plus the aesthetics of it.

Unfortunately as any soldier/ex-soldier will tell you (and I am sure I do not need to tell you - apologies for seeming to act smart) buttons, badges etc. are things that go missing all the time and I guess these ground dug ones are difficult to document who owned it, why did it fall off etc.

However I won't continue on with writing a novel, and I do respect your opinion regarding these things, though I guess it is each to their own.

All the best,

Toffster

Hi Sid,

I meant to say wax as someone had told me to use vaseline on my Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Silber.

Would vaseline be ok as a protective coating?

Dave

?

vaseline will work, but do you really want to touch it after that ? it's just messy. i'd use ren wax or the wd-40 my self.

WD40 is indeed better.

?

Quote by Toffster View Post
    I guess the high prices are due to a combination of the demand for them and also the fact that the SS were a mysterious military arm of the Third Reich and though it was a violent organisation it stills holds a lot of mystery for many people.. There are still a lot of things we don't know about it...among them minor things such as who are all the manufacturers of these items and this seems to be changing over time?

As Peter said I too would find a piece of a Focke Wulf 190 interesting as I do with all history. However I guess a piece of the airplane (depending on the part) doesn't hold as much interest due to many factors, whereas a cap badge has some interesting history of its own such as how did the badge become a skull? why? What is the history behind it? etc. Plus the aesthetics of it.

Unfortunately as any soldier/ex-soldier will tell you (and I am sure I do not need to tell you - apologies for seeming to act smart) buttons, badges etc. are things that go missing all the time and I guess these ground dug ones are difficult to document who owned it, why did it fall off etc.
    Thank you Toffster for your insight. I'm now beginning to understand a little better.

In regards to the heritage of the Totenkopf badge and the "aesthetics of it". I really don't want to appear as a snob but most if not all of the answers are here on the forum in some form or another and have been discussed countless times.

You also quote that the "SS were a mysterious military arm of the Third Reich" and I suppose that is all part of the appeal?
    Again, with some study, the mysteries will become clearer and eventualy the realisation will set in that most of what is generaly known about the SS and why it is considered sinisterly and mysteriously appealing is in fact actualy rather mundane, boringly bureaucratic, political and unsurprisingly very racist.

I like your point that buttons and bits of insignia go missing all the time which is also rather a mundane fact of a soldiers life so again, the huge desire for lost and now found SS insignia can only be because of the mysterious appeal that you refer to.

Again, I'm not trying to belittle anyone for wanting to collect these things, I'm just trying to understand it. I myself have bought one ground dug cupal Overhoff TK for much to much money IMO but I just wanted to actualy see the layers of alloy used in it's construction.

Guys STOP STOP STOP
    Not to argue of course.(: (: (:
    A little encounter is not bad.
    This way this forum is still living
    But STOP STOP STOP using WD 40 or other similiar preparats..
    They have many many chemicals their are destroyed natural patin and metal surface.
    If you need to keep shining use natural wax or liquid parafin.
    Dont polish them.
    Many years ago when I was novice I cleaned and polished some of my skulls.
    Now I feel shame.
    Esspecialy in dugs wash them in water witch delicate soap and rinse in destilate water.
    If they have patin only delicate cleaning in destilate water its O.K
    In Museums profesionalist used varnish type Paraloid B44 or similar.
    Keep WD 40 for your cars (mine is almost new one and very fast (: )
    It was a joke- of course nothing perssonals.
    And my last world about the dugs.
    Everyone have own taste.
    I like dugs because their have history on their surface.
    Like old man on the face.you see almost their whole live.
    Im not collecting skulls and other artefacts thinking this way:more shine more money
    Someone of you guys are telling or thinking this way:what a junk you have,look at my pretty shine collection.
    Maybe but even this collection is not a true art.
    Ben you are telling me a dug of skull this is is not same thing as FW190.
    Of course but FW190 it is not same thing like Daviid sculpture by Carravagio.
    And pretty soon this forum will be a race WHO IS BETTER WHO IS BEST.
    P.S Of course sorry about my terrible Englisch Language
    Peter
    One dug before sleep is not bad (:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Likely Real not fake?  

This is a rare early piece.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast