Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need Opinions on SS Cap Eagles

Article about: Its always a pleasure to look at the pics you post, i don't save them to my computer as they are not mine to save. Thanks for the info i asked you about. Brian

Default Re: Need Opinions on SS Cap Eagles

Its always a pleasure to look at the pics you post, i don't save them to my computer as they are not mine to save.

Thanks for the info i asked you about.

Brian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Opinions on SS Cap Eagles
    P
    Many

Quote by blackheart0866 View Post
    Its always a pleasure to look at the pics you post, i don't save them to my computer as they are not mine to save.

Thanks for the info i asked you about.

Brian
    Dear Brian, the photos are there expressly so you can save them and look at them. That's the point. I take pictures from the internet, as I assume that is why they are there. You are especially welcome to my pictures, as I am confident you will not mount any mischief with them. I am not sure about others, but then how can anyone control the chaos of the internet?

I posted some RZM tags for shirts for you, too. The shirt looks real, but the stamp is from probably from some identity document or whatever. The shirt looks real to me, as far as it goes.

My goal here is to share what I know, and unlike others, I under bid the cartel of anxiety who seeks to hoard knowledge for profit. My profit is that you learn something and see things that, when I was young, I never dreamed remotely possible.

PS this was my hat once.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Opinions on SS Cap Eagles  

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Dear Brian, the photos are there expressly so you can save them and look at them. That's the point. I take pictures from the internet, as I assume that is why they are there. You are especially welcome to my pictures, as I am confident you will not mount any mischief with them. I am not sure about others, but then how can anyone control the chaos of the internet?

I posted some RZM tags for shirts for you, too. The shirt looks real, but the stamp is from probably from some identity document or whatever. The shirt looks real to me, as far as it goes.

My goal here is to share what I know, and unlike others, I under bid the cartel of anxiety who seeks to hoard knowledge for profit. My profit is that you learn something and see things that, when I was young, I never dreamed remotely possible.

PS this was my hat once.
    Very nice cap, and for future reference, i would love to save some of the tunic pics you post.

As always , a great thank you for your expertise, and knowledge.

Brian

Quote by blackheart0866 View Post
    Very nice cap, and for future reference, i would love to save some of the tunic pics you post.

As always , a great thank you for your expertise, and knowledge.

Brian
    Dear Brian, thanks to you for your service in war and peace, and what I post here you are welcome to. I should not have sold this cap. I think it is still for sale. I saw it a militaria show in 1981 and then actually bought it ca. 1992. It is an NSDAP Kreisleitung cap. It ended up in the Jeff Clark collection, so my taste is not bad.

There is less of this stuff in circulation than it seems.

Happy pictures to all.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Opinions on SS Cap Eagles  

I too thank you F.B. for sharing your expertise. The internet has been the boon and ultimate curse of collecting. It now seems that if the reference material is not available on an Ipad, it will not be read. You sir are an esteemed but dying breed.

Take care,
    Jay

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    I too thank you F.B. for sharing your expertise. The internet has been the boon and ultimate curse of collecting. It now seems that if the reference material is not available on an Ipad, it will not be read. You sir are an esteemed but dying breed.

Take care,
    Jay
    Dear Sir, thanks for the kind words and the insightful description of the matter. My cordial esteem in return for sure. The issue pivots on information had instantly versus knowledge; the flashy image and the gut feeling versus the hum drum reality of the past and some thought about same. There is some poetry in being a dying breed, mind you, as the internet gives me endless chance to remind everyone of my splendid mortality with hectoring without surcease. The trouble is that these web sites go tits up, and then the texts are gone. In my day job, though, I rather enjoy the use of You Tube to illustrate a point and I make my charges look up the most arcane things in Wikipedia to their heart's content. I combine this with traditional text analysis as well as writing assignments. They manage somehow, and no one can claim that I bucking the 21st century.

But the impact of the 21st century flood of information that masquerades as knowledge is its homogenization and destruction of patience and reflection, which is the essence of real knowledge. I find myself unable to read as I once did, even though I spend a fortune on books and there are wonderful books on our subject, especially in Germany. The other part is the destruction of traditional institutions of knowledge, culture, and, above all, hierarchy and the editorial process. I rather like the editorial process myself, but this is an unpopular position. I would not mind someone editing my posts, of course. That is, someone who would make the text better and add better images.

Oh well. Someone else will figure this all out somehow, somewhere and sometime. In the meantime, I am not dead yet, and aim to learn more and share it with the nice handful of pleasant souls that frequent this space until I go blind and wear down my palsied fingers.

Es lebe die Reichszeugmeisterei!

PS thanks to Ben VK for this here.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 06-11-2010 at 02:46 AM.

Here is a piece which appears to have original badges, and nice ones at that....it is on the Mohawk arms site. The insignia is much nicer with the cap itself.

I mean, all these funny tags in a foreign language are always a source of mystery to some. Who ever tires of such a thing? If you just collect loose insignia, you miss all of these other things which are quite intriguing in and of themselves.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Opinions on SS Cap Eagles   Need Opinions on SS Cap Eagles  

Need Opinions on SS Cap Eagles  
    Attached Images Attached Images Need Opinions on SS Cap Eagles  Need Opinions on SS Cap Eagles  Need Opinions on SS Cap Eagles  Need Opinions on SS Cap Eagles 

I am sure these men here would think that our discussion is truly insane.

Or these here, who are actual people and not illustrations of SS men in a cigarette book. How many caps are in this picture? How many tags? How many survived intact? Where are their caps? Where are the tags? Where....how...and why?

The sad truth is very likely these people you see in early 1943 were mostly dead or maimed within a couple of years and their clothing was blown to bits or discarded as junk.

The Germans I knew in the 1960s and 1970s who lived through all of this thought my interest in this regalia was quite insane and totally peculiar.
    Attached Images Attached Images Need Opinions on SS Cap Eagles 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2