Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

New collector - advice on buying first Totenkopf

Article about: Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and also to collecting. I have had an interest in ww2 memorabilia since I was a small child and only recently began actively collecting. I have only a sinc

Quote by Winkelman View Post
    Unfortunately , not all newcomers take the trouble to seek such wisdom & shared knowledge .
    They will find their money easily wasted on treacherous fake items like these
    >> WW2 German Visor Hat Cap Elite Skull marked M1/24 - No Reserve | eBay
    And these badges unleash a particular kind of irrationality and human turmoil which are noteworthy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New collector - advice on buying first Totenkopf
    P
    Many

Hi and welcome to the site. I too like you are new to collecting German militaria, but I am looking to collect visor caps. My first purchase was a disaster, the cap had been made to look in a worn condition. Actually someone from the forum had owned it before. I took advice on here and bought a load of books, read up on the construction and makes of caps. Then ended up buying 4 caps, one after the other. Posted them on here to see if my learning had paid off. To my delight they all got the thumbs up here and it gives you such a buss when you take on board what the guys here say and what you learn from reading and then making that purchase, hoping its the right one. I would love to buy an SS visor cap, they are so expensive, but are the cream of the crop. I have been looking to buy a set of these insignia but like you, I have am not sure yet what to look for and do not want to buy a dud at the prices they go for. So will be saving hard. So take on board what is said here and you wont go far wrong. Happy collecting, hope you get what you are looking for.
    Regards Steve.

The purchase of SS cap insignia is much more difficult than the purchase of an army Extra Muetze.

You must examine real examples.

- - ------- - -

Use the Telesmanich War Booty website, but, then, so does virtually everyone else.

SS Visor Cap Eagle by "RZM M1/72"

His images are especially good if you have little more to which you can refer, as is the case with most.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-17-2015 at 06:32 PM.

Here is a "set," but it is rather costly. However, Shea and I are chums. S-550 SS Visor Cap Insignia Set

Apropos "sets" and such. I own more than one SS peaked cap, and in the some data I have examined, seldom are the cap badges from the same maker, and often the two badges are made of different Werkstoffe.
    The Neusilber was for the black cap, and the alu. was for the grey cap.
    I am not an expert in this material beyond some familiarity.
    Treat the expertise of some elsewhere with a maximum of skepticism because of the tendency with this material: a,) to outlandish exaggeration as well as the b.) use of a minimum of sound research.

New collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfNew collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfNew collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfNew collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfNew collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfNew collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfNew collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfNew collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfNew collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfNew collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfNew collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfNew collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfNew collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfNew collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfNew collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfCap badges and confusion. I do not collect loose insignia, other than to have a spare for a nice cap devoid of a badge or with a fake badge.

- - ------- - -

Some of these images are via Telesmanich, whose photography is first rate.

Suffice it to say: most of what you might randomly see in the internet with these badges is fake.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ss+t...evid=676883428

Or, as with this random sample, most of the real items in this sample are located on this site.

New collector - advice on buying first Totenkopfas with this cap, of mine..... a wartime Lubstein Privat cap with Cupal badges from Zimmermann.

?

Thank you for the images and sound advice, FB. I can only agree with FB regarding "deals" concerning these items, it usually leads to heartbreak and an empty wallet.

Here is a New collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfNew collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfNew collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfNew collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfNew collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfNew collector - advice on buying first TotenkopfDeschler badge of early make that some person wrongly thinks is fake......
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-18-2015 at 01:51 AM.

I won't say where I found this, but this legion example of authentic material being over analyzed is part of the problem with this material.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-18-2015 at 01:51 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast