Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Opinion on SS 475/39 marked Eagle

Article about: the eye & beak look bad as the feathers on the inside

Default re: Opinion on SS 475/39 marked Eagle

Without sounding rude, and this is not my intention, but if you are sure that this eagle is real, and you are adamant that it was dug. Why are you asking for opinions on its authenticity, and when you did not get the answer you was hoping for, you then bombard the thread with "other bits" that have been supposedly dug from the same hole.

It just does not make sense to me

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinion on SS 475/39 marked Eagle
    P
    Many

Dok
    ?

The eagle is real, is simple as I understand at anybody such eagle is not present

?

My impressions are that it's an original aluminium Wagner eagle, no?

If this item has solid provenance, documenting that it came from a battlefield dig, then there is really nothing to debate. I still find it strange that the poster would ask for opinions regarding authenticity if such were the case.

Nonetheless, I must say that I like this eagle considerably more based on the more recent photos. In the original photos, the material appeared to be some sort of pot metal, whereas it clearly seems to be aluminum now.

However, some of the details, which caused me to first conclude that this eagle was not original, still trouble me. I do not understand why we see the feathers coming through to the back side on the wings near the pin attachments and on the breast. Was a lot of material removed while cleaning these areas to the point where the front details could be seen from the back?

In any case, I can say with 100% certainty that this eagle is not from the same die as my aluminum Wagner eagle, which is the same as Ade's. Below are some comparison photos. In particular, look at the obvious differences in the markings. The font styles are completely different, which is especially noticeable in the 39. Note that on the eagle in question, the 9 does not close.

Again, to be clear, I am not arguing that this eagle is a fake, but it is clearly different than the one style of aluminum Wagner eagle I know to be original.

Brad
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinion on SS 475/39 marked Eagle   Opinion on SS 475/39 marked Eagle  

Opinion on SS 475/39 marked Eagle  

?

And looks like Swas is off center..

Dok
    ?

Thanks for answers!
    In the name of my theme about originality of an eagle there are my errors at knowledge of English language. For me the same as and for you, remains a riddle why 475/39 are written by other font.
    I hoped that such eagle at somebody is. Why is not present - I do not know.
    I not the expert on СС, but me became interesting this theme as we with the friend have dug out this eagle of the earth.
    The wife has told that will dig an eagle back in the earth.
    There is no eagle - there are no problems. The husband engaged in not by the business.
    Yours faithfully

Hello Dok,

Swas is an abbreviation for swastika.

For all forum members, please understand that English is not the native language of all forum users. Many have to use translator prograns and abbreviations and slang do not translate.

Bob Hritz

As I have a background in metal manufacturing, I would like to add the following information. Undoubtedly, the manufacturer would have gone through a number of dies during their manufacturing life. Insignia created at the start of use of a die set will be sharper in detail than those produced late in the life of the tooling. Further, it is doubtful that the same dies were used on insignia made from varying materials. The hardness and strength varies from one form of metal to another. Dies would be created with different degrees of sharpness to accomidate these varying features. For those reasons, I do not find any problem with insignia coming from the same manufacturer that are made from different materials possesing manufacturing variances.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    As I have a background in metal manufacturing, I would like to add the following information. Undoubtedly, the manufacturer would have gone through a number of dies during their manufacturing life. Insignia created at the start of use of a die set will be sharper in detail than those produced late in the life of the tooling. Further, it is doubtful that the same dies were used on insignia made from varying materials. The hardness and strength varies from one form of metal to another. Dies would be created with different degrees of sharpness to accomidate these varying features. For those reasons, I do not find any problem with insignia coming from the same manufacturer that are made from different materials possesing manufacturing variances.

What materials are different in this case?

Quote by bwanek1 View Post
    What materials are different in this case?
    I do not believe I mentioned the items being discussed in this thread in my post. I was responding to the statement that eagles with the same maker marks have variations. The same production variations would be valid for medals and badges.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast