Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Rare Danziger skull.

Article about: There's a lot of "early design" skulls out there, I think I recognized almost 20 variants till this day.

Default Re: Rare Danziger skull.

There's a lot of "early design" skulls out there, I think I recognized almost 20 variants till this day.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rare Danziger skull.
    P
    Many

?

Quote by carlsson1982 View Post
    There's a lot of "early design" skulls out there, I think I recognized almost 20 variants till this day.
    Interesting.
    Any pics of the different variations?
    Could be interesting to see them all lined up for comparison.

Rare Danziger skull.You do want to distinguish between the Braunschweiger and the Danziger, which were quite different. But thanks for the nice images all the same.

Quote by Scout View Post
    Interesting.
    Any pics of the different variations?
    Could be interesting to see them all lined up for comparison.
    I will do so with the pic's I have, I promise.

?

Sounds great.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Rare Danziger skull.You do want to distinguish between the Braunschweiger and the Danziger, which were quite different. But thanks for the nice images all the same.
    No problem.
    Always interesting to be enlightened.
    So its a Braunschweiger skull in the visor cap only or also in his fur head dress?

And with my Sherlock Holmes-like powers, I deduce that you are saying, that they are not related i.e. not both in direct lineage from the Hussar skull as worn by von Mackensen et al?

It so, what is the background for the Braunschweiger skull?

I assume, the Danziger skull is a descendant of the Hussar skull.

?

Got it:
    The skull, I was referring to. Adopted in 1741

Der Totenkopf wurde bereits im 16. Jahrhundert von ungarischen, dann polnischen und später preußischen Reitertruppen auf ihren Pelzmützen getragen.
    1740 schmückte ein silberner Schädel mit Knochen dahinter - gestickt aus Silberfäden - das schwarze Begräbnis-Geschirr des preußischen Königs Friedrich Wilhelm I. In dessen Angedenken übernahm das am 9. August 1741 ins Leben gerufene 5. Husaren-Regiment (am 5. September 1741 im Lager von Göttun bei Brandenburg an der Havel unter Major von Mackenrodt zusammengestellt) eine schwarze Uniform mit Totenkopf an der Kopfbedeckung. Andere Deutung: Zur Uniform des Regiments sei das Tuch benutzt worden, womit der Saal ausgeschlagen gewesen, in welchem die Leiche Königs auf dem Paradebette gelegen. Dieser Saal sei mit weiß gestickten Totenköpfen dekoriert gewesen, daher stamme der Totenkopf. Bei der Reorganisation des Preußischen Heeres wurde dem Regiment in Anerkennung der bisherigen Verdienste mit ACO vom 7.9.1808 der Name "Leibhusaren Regiment" und Garde-Status verliehen. Wegen der Neugliederung des Heeres wurde das Regiment am 20.12.1808 in das 1. und 2. Leibhusaren-Regiment geteilt.

The Braunschweiger skull followed in 1809. As worn by Hussar Regiment number 17 and Infantry Regiment number 92.
    The Braunschweiger skull is easy to distinguish, as its 'looking' straight ahead and positioned over the crossed bones.

Das Herzogtum Braunschweig folgte 1809: Der Totenkopf wurde vom Husarenregiment Nr. 17 und vom Infanterieregiment 92 übernommen. Der Braunschweiger Totenkopf unterscheidet sich leicht vom preußischen: Der Schädel schaut geradeaus und ist über den gekreuzten Knochen positioniert.
    In den Freiheitskriegen um 1813 finden wir den Totenkopf auf den Mützen der Schillschen-, bzw. Lützowschen Jäger. Bedeutende Angehörige dieser Freischaren: Jahn, Körner, Friesen.
    Ab dieser Zeit wurde der Totenkopf von deutschen Husaren bis 1918 getragen. Das Heer verfügte vor 1914 über 20 Husaren-Regimenter, wovon eines ein braunschweigisches, drei sächsische und der Rest preußische waren.

So in a way, both Hussar skulls but from two different sources.

Zweiter-Weltkrieg-Lexikon.de - Forum • Thema anzeigen - Der Totenkopf als militärisches Symbol

?

Ooops, sorry for hi-jacking thread BTW.

CBH
    ?

Any excuse to post my Leib Husaren skull , very similar to a Panzer collar skull . Hope it's useful .
    cheers Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare Danziger skull.  

?

.....Argh...and any excuse to enjoy it!! Its ...its....its overwhelming, is the word Im looking for.

Thanks for posting it again.

Its most certainly most valid to post it here, but please grab any excuse how ever teneous for posting it in the future as well

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast