Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

RZM M1/52 skull

Article about: by Styx Anddd, what do you reckon on this one? I honestly have no clue with this, I haven't seen enough, but my natural inclination is to believe it's fake. There is the biggest thread ever

Default Re: SS Totenkopf, real or fake?

Mat you are a legend, i was looking for that info for about 2.5 hours last night.You have been more than helpful.Im pissed of as the guy at the antique shop told me they were genuine.Will be going back tomorrow to let him know and get my money back.Will let ya know how i get on.

Matso

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RZM M1/52 skull
    P
    Many

Quote by Srdj View Post
    Attachment 343502Attachment 343503
    Please let me know if this is the real deal or a fake. Thanks!
    Apart from the pins it looks very similar to one i found earlier this year.
    I am not an expert on these that’s for sure. but here is a link to that thread, you might find it interesting.
    another skull and eagle for review please
    Rod

Thanks Rod,just had a look and very helpful,so thing like this and Mats info will help me for when i look again. Matso

Quote by Truckso View Post
    Mat you are a legend, i was looking for that info for about 2.5 hours last night.You have been more than helpful.Im pissed of as the guy at the antique shop told me they were genuine.Will be going back tomorrow to let him know and get my money back.Will let ya know how i get on.

Matso
    I'm glad to have helped Matso! I've had experiences with buying fake items, but have been fortunate enough to get refunds each time- the sellers weren't intentionally selling fakes, they just weren't knowledgeable on what they had. Genuine totenkopfs are rare and vastly outnumbered by fakes, therefore generally hard to find and expensive. It took me a while to finally acquire mine. You should do what I do, and create two folders of saved images: real and fake examples. I was in the same position as you a couple of years back, but after collecting images for reference and learning about these insignia, I can usually tell immediately if something's good or bad.

By the way, just as a heads up, Rod was replying to 'Srdj' about the badge he posted, as shown in the quote. In future, you're best starting a new thread for your finds, to prevent confusion and encourage informed responses. The skull they're discussing is known as a 'first pattern' totenkopf, whereas the kind we are discussing is the second pattern, hence the obvious difference.

Mat

?

So I gather that my totenkopf is a fake. I haven't been back to this thread in a while and I'm sort of lost.

Quote by Srdj View Post
    Attachment 343159
    A guy I got this from said they were "late war" SS Totenkopf but that hasn't sit well with me. Is this a fake? (if better quality photo is required, no problem, let me know).
    Your badge is totally and completely fake. Sorry.

?

Yes, I know this one is a fake. I meant the earlier totenkopf.

RZM M1/52 skullRZM M1/52 skullRZM M1/52 skullRZM M1/52 skullRZM M1/52 skullRZM M1/52 skullRZM M1/52 skullRZM M1/52 skullRZM M1/52 skullRZM M1/52 skullRZM M1/52 skull
    Quote by Srdj View Post
    Yes, I know this one is a fake. I meant the earlier totenkopf.
    If you look carefully, I have posted many real items of this type from my collection. None of them is alu. They are zinc, buntmetall, and similar, i.e. a brass and tin mixture. Alu ones did exist, and I have included elsewhere a Steinhauer und Lueck SS badge, of great rarity.

(Photos courtesy Peter Jenkins and others)

Quote by plumbob View Post
    Apart from the pins it looks very similar to one i found earlier this year.
    I am not an expert on these that’s for sure. but here is a link to that thread, you might find it interesting.
    another skull and eagle for review please
    Rod
    To echo Rod, I'm also no expert on first patterns, but I don't think the prong type is correct. I can't say for certain though.

Mat

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    To echo Rod, I'm also no expert on first patterns, but I don't think the prong type is correct. I can't say for certain though.

Mat
    It was just that it seems to have a double edge around it Mat. And mirror details on the inside, of the outside. Like my one, it was just that that drew my attention to it.
    Really need someone else to check it that knows there stuff about these 1st pattern types.
    All the best
    Rod
    Last edited by plumbob; 06-18-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: double post somehow?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast