Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

RZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a story

Article about: by ToxicGas You have an impressive collection Friedrich, and these reference photos are very useful. I have saved a few for the purpose of comparing, thanks. If I were to seek an eagle to di

Default re: RZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a story

Thanks for the comments! Bob, the attitude you speak of is very understandable in most instances. I have always been cautious when it comes to anything that may be said to sell something, and that mentality has been reinforced since joining here- 'buy the item, not the story!' which is wise. After asking if the skull had any history, I was stunned to hear what I was told. At first I wondered why this wasn't originally advertised with the insignia, but maybe he presumed the story would mean little to anyone? Or perhaps just that it did not need a story to sell, as an original piece. Either way, I'm very glad that I ended up talking with the seller, because were it not for that I would never have discovered what makes this really special. It's story is of an interestingly symbolic nature, when you think about it.

Mat

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a story
    P
    Many

?

A real nice catch Mat & great story too , well done mate

Cap badges in situ.RZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a story

The past consists of myths, legends, sagas, history, some facts, and maybe a little truth. As a young collector, this regalia was not as rare as it is today, the events were more a part of everyone's lives, and the money involved was not especially great by modern standards. The tall tales were legion, then, too, but they have gotten taller in the digital retelling. If a bit of the past awakens in a young person a curiosity and a desire to know the reality of the 20th century in its full detail, so much the better. I was witness to so many cock and bull stories with these things as a kid that I grew pretty jaded about it all, and just wanted something to be authentic. Of course, I have trouble realizing that the early and mid 20th century represents a far away epoch, whereas in my own life, it was the present and the day before yesterday in the lives of everyone around me, and, myself, in fact.
    Thanks for an interesting object and good luck with your collecting. Do yourself a favor and make a big circle around some of the "scull" collectors if you want to keep you sanity--especially the ones who act as if they were in Munich themselves in 1938 when then were born in 1982. And, the object in question in the years 1934 until 1938 cost all of fifteen pfennigs.RZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a story
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 07-23-2011 at 01:13 AM.

You have an impressive collection Friedrich, and these reference photos are very useful. I have saved a few for the purpose of comparing, thanks.

If I were to seek an eagle to display with the skull, would it have to be Deschler to be accurate? I seem to recall reading a similar discussion and I think it was said that the insignias weren't always matching to one maker, but I'm not sure.

Also, am I correct in thinking that a concentration camp SS guard's uniform would be of the field grey type, like in a couple of those pictures?

Mat

Nice skull, sad story.
    Just like you I am at the out look for one since I have started my new collection, and also couldn't manage to get one until now. But I am sure there will be one on my path too.
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Nice skull Mat, and good price. I am searching for the prussian/danziger style skull that is on the left in your display box. Even the early ones are faked just as much as the others. Theres Sumthin I like about the looks of the Prussian skull tho for some reason. Im not a "skull guy" but like you, just trying to collect the style variants. Now you need to find a Brunswick. haha congrats

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    You have an impressive collection Friedrich, and these reference photos are very useful. I have saved a few for the purpose of comparing, thanks.

If I were to seek an eagle to display with the skull, would it have to be Deschler to be accurate? I seem to recall reading a similar discussion and I think it was said that the insignias weren't always matching to one maker, but I'm not sure.

Also, am I correct in thinking that a concentration camp SS guard's uniform would be of the field grey type, like in a couple of those pictures?

Mat
    The badges usually were made by different makers on these caps. Sometimes the Hoheitszeichen and Totenschaedel are the same maker, but generally not. I know whereof I speak. I wager that persons replaced these badges more than once in the life of the cap, so they took what was at hand and the RZM lists indicate nothing as to maker, finish, etc. The maker thing is an invention of collectors to confuse each other and establish an artificial category absent from the history itself. The buttons on the tunics frequently do not match, either. Happy collecting and learn more real history from books.RZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a story

Quote by Panzer1031 View Post
    Nice skull Mat, and good price. I am searching for the prussian/danziger style skull that is on the left in your display box. Even the early ones are faked just as much as the others. Theres Sumthin I like about the looks of the Prussian skull tho for some reason. Im not a "skull guy" but like you, just trying to collect the style variants. Now you need to find a Brunswick. haha congrats
    VoilaRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a storyRZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a story

the pictures cost less than the object itself, I can tell you....

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast