Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Eagle and Skull, Real or Fake?

Article about: Dear Members, I just joined specifically to ask about these two items. I bought them around 1977-78 at a swap meet in San Diego, California. I was a teenager at the time and had a small coll

Default SS Eagle and Skull, Real or Fake?

Dear Members,

I just joined specifically to ask about these two items. I bought them around 1977-78 at a swap meet in San Diego, California. I was a teenager at the time and had a small collection of war medals and such. They were in a small, home-made frame and attached to the backing without glass. When I got home I removed them from the backing and found that both items had been attached by way of brass tacks that had been glued to the items with what looked like solder on the eagle, and some kind of black adhesive on the skull. At some point the brass tacks fell off (or I pulled them off, I don't remember), and I've had these sitting around in a "junk drawer" ever since. I'm just wondering if these items are real of if I should put them back in the drawer for another 35 years.

Thank you for your time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Eagle and Skull, Real or Fake?   SS Eagle and Skull, Real or Fake?  

SS Eagle and Skull, Real or Fake?   SS Eagle and Skull, Real or Fake?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Eagle and Skull, Real or Fake?
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS Eagle and Skull, Real or Fake?

Welcome to the Forum. I'm going with fake on these. Sorry. More comments will be arriving soon.

Luke

Welcome. These unfortunately very bad fakes.

Hi,welcome to the forum,i'm sorry to say that these are poor copies,so you can safely put them back in the drawer!! Leon.

Oh my! Ouch.

Thank you to all for taking the time to look.

Best,
    Steven

Sorry Steven...but as almost everyone in the hobby has found out at one time or another, there will always be sellers who take advantage of young teen collectors and foist their fake crap onto them and take their hard to come by money from them with a snickering grin. Personally, I don't see how these people can sleep at nights, knowing full well that they've stolen money from a young person who's trying to show interest in a fascinating hobby. I Really do think that this should be a crime and much a more rigorously enforced one. As has been said above., the 2 pieces here are not genuine and are, in fact, quite bad examples of even fakes. Again, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if nothing else, you will always find the Truth here on this Forum! Never be hesitant to ask! And, welcome to the Forum too!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hello Steven and welcome to the forum!
    Unfortunately, there is really nothing more to add, I agree with the other opinions posted.
    Please do stay around and browse or show us some of the other items in your collection.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

No worries about the verdict. I don't have much of a militaria collection, it's something I started around the age 15 or so and had given up on by age 20. I do understand how valuable it is to have the eyes of so many experienced collectors at my disposal, and I am very thankful for that. Again, thanks to all who have taken the time to give a detailed reply and consoling here.

I'll certainly bookmark this forum and come back to browse. I'm a big history buff and still a collector (of a totally unrelated but equally niche-like collectible), and I enjoy reading the posts and seeing the relics on display. I'm still marveling at the photos of that cache of WWI German steel helmets just discovered in France. Makes me want to get back into militaria!

Best,
    Steven

Should have been " detailed and consoling reply"! (time for a cup of coffee here)

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast