Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

SS Hat Eagle Tobacco(?) Box

Article about: I bought this from the son of an WWII Vet. Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Default SS Hat Eagle Tobacco(?) Box

I bought this from the son of an WWII Vet.

Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

SS Hat Eagle Tobacco(?) BoxSS Hat Eagle Tobacco(?) BoxSS Hat Eagle Tobacco(?) BoxSS Hat Eagle Tobacco(?) BoxSS Hat Eagle Tobacco(?) BoxSS Hat Eagle Tobacco(?) Box

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Hat Eagle Tobacco(?) Box
    P
    Many

Whilst I am sure such conversions were probably period done, it is the sort of item that enterprising fakers produce to enhance the value of crappy old tins etc and fake insignia.

In this case, it might be real, though always remember to buy the item and not the story.

I hope it really did come from the son of a vet and was his dads from back in the day.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

wait a minute it seems to be that rare zink cap eagle from unknown maker

Quote by Anon View Post
    Whilst I am sure such conversions were probably period done, it is the sort of item that enterprising fakers produce to enhance the value of crappy old tins etc and fake insignia.

In this case, it might be real, though always remember to buy the item and not the story.

I hope it really did come from the son of a vet and was his dads from back in the day.
    I know that all too well. If I hadn't spoken with the son myself and seen his fathers other items I wouldn't believe this as far as I could throw it. I have seen lots of this kind of stuff turn out to be junk... and hey... this one may be as well... However he said he remembered his father carrying this around when he was a child and he had used it for tobacco.

Likely a personalized piece and not a production item.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Agreed. Almost certainly a hand made "trench art style" of modification. Done in what time frame? Impossible to know for sure. I wonder what was originally on the lid before the eagle was added.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Looks good to me, I just saw a WW1 style trench art piece similar, for tobacco that still had some scraps in it.