Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Pith Helmet Badges

Article about: I have a friend who would like to know if these SS badges are genuine period items. I have little or no knowledge of pith helmets so all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance Regards Samir

?

Default SS Pith Helmet Badges

I have a friend who would like to know if these SS badges are genuine period items. I have little or no knowledge of pith helmets so all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Regards
    Samir
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Pith Helmet Badges   SS Pith Helmet Badges  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Pith Helmet Badges
    P
    Many

?

I don't think they are real.
    I have never seen a screw post and nut assembly on any pith helmet shields.

the posts match up perfectly with the holes in the pith helmet.perhaps F-B can help out.

?

I believe these are repros, I have only ever seen the ones with the prongs.

From what i've gathered about these SS pith helmet shields is that the only genuine ones were JFS 42 and 43 types, (no other maker is accepted), and the pins were strictly round wire only. Flat wire and threaded posts were considered bogus. That is also the belief of Bob Hritz.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I once had a set of these that I vet purchased in the early 1980's. The vet had gotten them in Italy which is logical. Both badges had heavy wire prongs and looked nothing like these post and nut attachements which in my mind are total fantasy. The shields are definite 4th Reich production.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

From what I know J.F.S only used these two types of attachments for these shields...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Pith Helmet Badges  

Quote by SSamir View Post
    I have a friend who would like to know if these SS badges are genuine period items. I have little or no knowledge of pith helmets so all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Regards
    Samir
    Complete and utter garbage fakes.

Apart from the other comments the originals also have proper pebbling and the runes are very sharp edged. All those shown by me are sadly not mine. I have to agree with Ned in that I am not sure the flat prong versions are good.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Pith Helmet Badges   SS Pith Helmet Badges  

SS Pith Helmet Badges   SS Pith Helmet Badges  

SS Pith Helmet Badges  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

While it is probably not necessary at this point, do allow me to add the observation that screw posts simply don't make sense as a means of fastening pith helmet shields. It's not as if these shields had to be taken off and re-attached all the time, so why should the makers have gone for anything more complicated than simple prongs?

And the posts would poke you in the head, too, if anyone has owned a Wehrmacht pith helmet. This item looks like a spare part for the Mercedes Benz truck. My first pith helmet, extracted from Belgian warehouses, was a perfect item in unused condition that cost all of five dollars
    in 1969. It was beautifully made.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast