Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine?

Article about: I've been wanting to start collecting Totenkopf badges for a while, but I've held back so far since I don't have enough knowledge to confidantly distinguish between real examples and fakes,

Default Re: SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine?

see attached. I think we have had this type of Husarentotenkopf thread at least four times this week. It must be sun spots.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine?
    P
    Many

Thank you for posting these Friedrich, I appreciate it. I think the first picture definitely contains one of the TK badges I have, and it's very interesting to see them as part of the entire uniform. Seen as this topic seems to arise frequently judging by what you said, maybe a 'sticky' thread could be made on these containing info and photos like this?
    And the cap badges seem like the best place to start for me, collection-wise. The badges are so iconic, and one of my main fascinations with the Third Reich is it's powerful use and manipulation of symbolism. The Totenkopf definitely holds a 'black magic' as you say...

Since our young friend in UK can use the word "iconic" and the phrase "manipulation of symbolism," I herewith promise to post more images.

The problem with the cap badges is their role as magnetic object for beginning collectors who are outclassed by the fakes and have no real access to the tiny number of extant, authentic pieces.

As I wrote earlier: Wolfe/Burrmeister/Weitze has at "Empire Military Auctions" a bomb proof set for sale I should very much like, but I refuse to pay their price.

The Nazi manipulation of imagery argues for the study of the role of aesthetic depiction of death and its cult in German romanticism and nationalism, as well as the Voelkisch and Nordic movements in the late 19th and early 20th centuries whence came all of this violence.

I enclose an example from the mid 19th century in the wake of the 1848 revolution. This is from Rethel's Totentanz, a conservative critique of violence in 1848 and the empty promises of liberalism of that era.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine?  

In the hope our young colleague in the UK can read German, and furthers wishes to deepen himself in the manipulation of political symbols, here is a worthwhile book that just appeared in Germany for those embarking on a career with all of this. The author is Andreas Koop.

Also, Robin Lumsden is the real market leader in bone head symbolism of old piece of Tombak, Feinzink and CuPal, so you must follow him to where he posts. He is at work on a book on the use of the death's head as a military and political symbol.

The 3d image here is his collection of these objects....
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine?  SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine?  SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine? 

Another example on a grey cap from the era of the SS Verfuegungstruppe
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine? 

If you really want problems, and are not content with the fakes and frauds of cap badges, then collect these iconic symbols and watch yourself get taken from all sides.

This old, leading collection of authentic pieces was sold and broken up....needless to say, it is not my property.

Here is another variation of the Danziger Husaren badge on a cap.
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine? 

Once again, I thank you for the information and imagery!

'The Nazi manipulation of imagery argues for the study of the role of aesthetic depiction of death and its cult in German romanticism and nationalism, as well as the Voelkisch and Nordic movements in the late 19th and early 20th centuries whence came all of this violence.'
    -I've been reading articles on the Totenkopf's history online, finding books on such subjects would be interesting also: unfortunately though, I can't read German, as much as I'd like to be able to. Is the book by Robin Lumsden being written in English? His collection is impressive! The Totentanz picture is new to me.

Oh, and as tempting as it sounds to get taken on all sides, I think I'll avoid that area of collecting for a while... I much prefer the badges, and believe I have more of a chance educating myself on them than the collar tabs. Aside from my aim to collect cap badges, I hope to purchase a stahlhelm of some sort... another dangerous area, but I think with good research and advice here, it's feasible. I'm used to collecting weaponry and gas masks, those are the areas I'm comfortable in.

It's late, I'll come back tomorrow and see if any of this made sense.

My readers will forgive my sense of irony with the post above as to the collar patches and any disrespect to my British colleague.

Lumsden is writing a book, I think. He posts on another site known to Adrian Stevenson with a UK center of operations.

The aesthetics of politics and of the militarization of aesthetics interests me, as it does others here. I am more or less familiar with the literature on same in its conventional paper form.

If my British friend will send me a note, I shall offer some titles to read.

The Totenkopf is a universal symbol in central Europe, actually, that acquires its military meaning with the rise of uniforms as military clothing with the advent of standing armies in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Here is an image of SS men in a leisurely pose at the 1933 or 1934 Nuremberg rally with their caps nearby. I cadged this from the lord of the flies site, where no one appreciates the picture nor succeeded in identifying it.

Here are such men wide awake being Nazis in informal poses.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast