Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Thanks, Warrelics! - RZM M5/8 SS Cap Buttons - Disaster Averted

Article about: Visited a local haunt today to pic up some US items (my comfort zone) I spotted yesterday while browsing the same shop. While there, the owner showed me two SS Overseas Cap Buttons, RZM mark

?

Default Thanks, Warrelics! - RZM M5/8 SS Cap Buttons - Disaster Averted

Visited a local haunt today to pic up some US items (my comfort zone) I spotted yesterday while browsing the same shop. While there, the owner showed me two SS Overseas Cap Buttons, RZM marked M5/8, that he had for sale (wayyyyy outside my comfort zone). $75 for one, $100 for both. A bargain! Per the store owner, guaranteed original, as with all his stuff.

Mind you, this is a fella who tried to sell me some "WWII era" US field gear that had DSA contract markings. For those not familiar, the DSA (Defense Supply Agency) contract prefix was used from 1962 through 1977; a tad bit past WWII.

I always check in, however, as I once picked up an attributed, US Haitian Campaign medal for a little more than what I paid for lunch that day. Now that was actually a bargain!

Clearly militaria is not his specialty. He's also one of those types where you can't sway his opinion as he knows his stuff.

In any case, I took a bunch of photos of the buttons to look through later. He's a buyer/trader, so I thought I could use some items as trade fodder that would interest him for resale. Could clearly see the buttons were cast, but being a novice, figured I would do some digging before ruling them outright.

Quick search on the forum confirmed M5/8 skulls were never produced prior to May 8th, 1945. Not period, and not worth the crap metal that was used to make them.

That said, just want to give a quick thanks for making this forum available with a wealth of information, and knowledgeable collectors!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thanks, Warrelics! - RZM M5/8 SS Cap Buttons - Disaster Averted
    P
    Many

These are painted an incorrect colour as well !

I took a chance on one a few years ago.
    ( $8.00 wasn't a huge investment )
    Turned out to be original.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    These are painted an incorrect colour as well !

I took a chance on one a few years ago.
    ( $8.00 wasn't a huge investment )
    Turned out to be original.........!
    Steve, at $8, I would have taken a chance. Seems like it worked out well for you!

My motto is, if I'm not sure, but it's under $10, it's worth taking a chance, if a quick search on my phone isn't conclusive. At $100, it gave me a reason for pause...

MAP
    ?

Ahhhh...the wonders of the "search function" at work.

Plus it bis so much more rewarding when you figure it out yourself
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

a classic fake