Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Totenkopf- Allgemeine SS 1st pattern (and my collection so far)

Article about: It arrived today, and it looks good to me, with a nice finish to it. It weighs most out of the skulls I have, I mention this in response to a comment of Friedrich's- I suspect this is correc

Default Totenkopf- Allgemeine SS 1st pattern (and my collection so far)

It arrived today, and it looks good to me, with a nice finish to it. It weighs most out of the skulls I have, I mention this in response to a comment of Friedrich's- I suspect this is correct? The Deschler TK is very light in comparison, which would make sense to me in regards to the conservation of materials during the war. Confirmation of originality would be greatly appreciated.

Mat
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Totenkopf- Allgemeine SS 1st pattern (and my collection so far)   Totenkopf- Allgemeine SS 1st pattern (and my collection so far)  

Totenkopf- Allgemeine SS 1st pattern (and my collection so far)   Totenkopf- Allgemeine SS 1st pattern (and my collection so far)  

Totenkopf- Allgemeine SS 1st pattern (and my collection so far)   Totenkopf- Allgemeine SS 1st pattern (and my collection so far)  

Totenkopf- Allgemeine SS 1st pattern (and my collection so far)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Totenkopf- Allgemeine SS 1st pattern (and my collection so far)
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Totenkopf- Allgemeine SS 1st pattern (and my collection so far)

Hello Mat, I am not a cap skull expert but I am not sure about the form of those teeth. The lines on the skull are a little strong in places too but wait for some other replies first...as I said, I am not an expert but others on here will confirm the authenticity soon enough for you. Good luck!

Regards

Carl

?

Looks bad to me, but don't count too much on my judgement on this. It just looks "off" to me.

The problem with first pattern skulls is that each seems to vary from the next... every original example shown on here looks different. Hopefully some of the experienced collectors of these things can give their thoughts. I bought this from a reputable dealer, Klaus Butschek- I can get a refund if necessary, though I hope it won't be!

Mat

well imo it looks like a nice skull

tom

It appears to be original. There are many dozens of variations on these so called first pattern skulls. They were used, in various patterns, from Imperial times through 1936.

Bob Hritz

Thanks for the comments. Here's more photos:

Edit: The photo uploader's not working for any more photos at the moment.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Totenkopf- Allgemeine SS 1st pattern (and my collection so far)  

I also believe this is a good "scull." Why did you refer to this piece as "Allgemeine SS?"
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks Bob. This was what the dealer referred to it as, and I thought this was correct. If I am not mistaken, Allgemeine SS refers to the SS in it's beginning stage, which is when this first pattern TK was in use? I was under the impression that this totenkopf was of SS use, not just a pre-WW2 tradition badge like the two you see displayed separately in one of my photos.

Mat

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    Thanks Bob. This was what the dealer referred to it as, and I thought this was correct. If I am not mistaken, Allgemeine SS refers to the SS in it's beginning stage, which is when this first pattern TK was in use? I was under the impression that this totenkopf was of SS use, not just a pre-WW2 tradition badge like the two you see displayed separately in one of my photos.

Mat
    Hi Mat-
    All branches of the SS wore this pattern skull. It was not exclusive to the Allgemeine SS. I thought your description might have been the dealer's description.
    The same is true with black shirmutze. It is too common to see them described as being "Allgemeine SS" which of course they are not necessarily. The misuse of terminology is not exclusive to new collectors. It can also be seen in use by veteran collectors and dealers.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast