Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Totenkopf- Allgemeine SS 1st pattern (and my collection so far)

Article about: It arrived today, and it looks good to me, with a nice finish to it. It weighs most out of the skulls I have, I mention this in response to a comment of Friedrich's- I suspect this is correc

Default Re: Totenkopf- Allgemeine SS 1st pattern (and my collection so far)

Thank you for the clarification, I'll remember that. Now you mention it, I recall someone being corrected after referring to a black schirmutze as Allgemeine SS. It seems you're right that the term's misuse isn't exclusive to those still learning like me, for I believe the man I bought this from is quite experienced.

Could you or anyone else clarify whether or not this Totenkopf is an SS piece or just a tradition badge possibly SS-used? Because I bought this under the impression it was a variety specifically used by the early SS, despite it's similarity to the tradition badges seen here:

Mat
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Totenkopf- Allgemeine SS 1st pattern (and my collection so far)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Totenkopf- Allgemeine SS 1st pattern (and my collection so far)
    P
    Many

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    Thanks Bob. This was what the dealer referred to it as, and I thought this was correct. If I am not mistaken, Allgemeine SS refers to the SS in it's beginning stage, which is when this first pattern TK was in use?
    Not quite, although it is true that initially, in the pre-1933 period, the whole of the SS only consisted of what would later be called the Allgemeine SS.

The other branches of the SS such as the SS-Totenkopfverbände, the SS-Verfügungstruppe and the eventual Waffen-SS - came to be only after the Nazi's seizure of power, but parallel to them, the Allgemeine SS continued to exist right up to the end of the war.

As Bob Colemen has already pointed out, it is also not correct to refer to black SS caps (or uniforms, for that matter) as "Allgemeine SS" items because prior to the outbreak of World War 2, the black service dress was the only permitted parade-, dress- and walking out-uniform for all branches of the SS, including the SD, SSTV and SSVT, who were wearing grey uniforms for regular duty.
    (However, after the outbreak of the war, the black uniforms were no more issued to those branches and only retained by the part-timers of the Allgemeine SS.)

This thread is of interest here: Black SS uniform in wear, 1943

Thanks for your info HPL2008, I've just read through the thread you linked. I've learned something, as I would never have looked at a grey uniform and associated it with Allgemeine SS.

Mat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2