Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Totenkopfs

Article about: I am absolutely awful at spotting fake or real Totenkopf skulls. Clould you please tell me how to spot fake Totenkopf skulls, whichever pattern, as if I were absolutely new to collecting. An

Default Totenkopfs

I am absolutely awful at spotting fake or real Totenkopf skulls. Clould you please tell me how to spot fake Totenkopf skulls, whichever pattern, as if I were absolutely new to collecting. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

1. How do you spot cast fakes?

2. What other names are there for fakes besides the "Mustachio"?

3. What about the prongs? Are rectangular ones bad?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Totenkopfs
    P
    Many

Default Re: Totenkopfs

Hi, the answer you seek are already contained within this forum. Study is the key. There is no easy answer.

However:

1) Cast fakes will display either surface imperfections in the form of burst bubbles leaving pit marks: a casting seam around the edge: soft detail.

2) Cannot think of any? Not that important anyway.

3) Prongs: depends on maker.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Okay, thanks!

Hi
    Just watch pics Orginal and Fake skulls.
    Compare details of them and read what more experienced collectors wrote ( excluding me (: (: (: )
    Here on this forum are a lots really good and passionate experts.
    Thanks
    Peter

Another helpful hint Ade gave me a while back is always post pictures before purchasing!! There are some great guys / experts on this forum with allot of knowledge!! Look at old links and do searches of the maker or rzm number of the skull you are looking to buy.....save allot of photos for comparison sake!!

Regards,

Sam

Okay! Great! I'll post a lot of detailed pictures if I find an item! Thanks!

Another tip if you don't go by memory alone, is to create your own photo database. Make two folders, one for originals and one for repros. Save all the pics you can from the forum along with makers details. You will them have your own reference work.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!