Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Unmarked SS skull: maker?

Article about: Hello all, Any theories as to who the maker of these unmarked skulls were produced by? I take it mine is cupal in material? Sorry the photos were taken in the sunlight and if additional imag

Default Unmarked SS skull: maker?

Hello all,

Any theories as to who the maker of these unmarked skulls were produced by? I take it mine is cupal in material? Sorry the photos were taken in the sunlight and if additional images are wanted just let me know and I'll snap some real quick.

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unmarked SS skull: maker?   Unmarked SS skull: maker?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unmarked SS skull: maker?
    P
    Many

Default re: Unmarked SS skull: maker?

It's an unmarked Deschler according to GHW who recently sold it. That's the same photo's on the site that you are showing.

Other German War Items | German War Helmet
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

yeah, I'm the one that purchased it. The skull is NOT an unmarked Deschler.

William Kramer

I can only think of one other unmarked type where the maker is known and that's Assmann & Sohne, but I'm not sure if this is by them unless it's perhaps an earlier version. Can you think of any others William?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned,

These resemble Deschler's but they aren't and I just wanted to know if there was a working theory in progress or if these are truly just an "unknown" maker. They are very attractive, that's for sure.

William Kramer

The patina on this makes me wonder which exact metal this is. Is it Zinc? Oxidation of Zinc would be very dull- typically. But i never say never. I'm just curious. Thanks.

I have moved this to the SS Metal Cap Insignia Forum for more opinions.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Unmarked SS skull: maker?Unmarked SS skull: maker?Unmarked SS skull: maker?Unmarked SS skull: maker?Unmarked SS skull: maker?Unmarked SS skull: maker?Unmarked SS skull: maker?
    Quote by octavian View Post
    The patina on this makes me wonder which exact metal this is. Is it Zinc? Oxidation of Zinc would be very dull- typically. But i never say never. I'm just curious. Thanks.
    It is Buntmetall or just plain brass. Likely the former, which you can look up, but an alloy with much brass in it and not untypical for badges of the 1933-193X era.
    I am not an expert, but I do own more than one of these things on more than one cap.

- - Updated - -

One day someone should enlisted a real expert from Europe or wherever who knows how these things were made beyond the received wisdom from gun show lore.
    I can generalize from my own caps, such as it is, but I have no professional expertise in how items of this kind and like it were made. I know that such expertise exists in Germany for the arts, trades, industry and crafts of this era, and it is sad that we do not enlist their knowledge.

The Deschler people were still going strong recently, and they employed some with lineage back to the 12 year period.
    But in my experience of this and other sites, no one ever engaged such people.
    Moreover, in southern Germany and Austria, there are still little firms that make trophies, medals, and plaques according to a design from a customer, and surely the crafts people there could easily recognize the Werkstoffe used in these items with ease.

They're a lot different than the Deschlers, look at the eye's contour, the theets, the sutures etc. They're always attributed to Deschler to make them sell but I think we'll never know who made these. Here's some examples that I own or used to...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unmarked SS skull: maker?   Unmarked SS skull: maker?  

Unmarked SS skull: maker?   Unmarked SS skull: maker?  

Unmarked SS skull: maker?   Unmarked SS skull: maker?  

Unmarked SS skull: maker?  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast