Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Zinc Overhoff M1/24 Skull - Opinions, please?

Article about: I know what you're thinking... "Not another skull authenticity post!" I just recently became interested in this fascinating hobby, and I'm the type of person that attempts to learn

Quote by carlsson1982 View Post
    The skull on the first post is original.
    An informed and concise assessment.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Zinc Overhoff M1/24 Skull - Opinions, please?
    P
    Many

Quote by daveward View Post
    Thank you for providing your thoughts on the matter. I greatly appreciate your opinion! I would jump at the chance to examine one of these in person, but unfortunately (and likely since I am so new to the hobby), I have no idea where to do so. I live in a large city, but aside from a few antique stores, I have no clue where to look for items such as these in person. Any suggestions?

I, too, recognize that sharing information and comparisons like this is both a good and bad thing. On one hand, we greatly improve our knowledge of these items and our ability to spot real ones, while on the other hand, we give fakers valuable information on how to improve their fakes... It's a tricky situation!

Thanks for taking the time to look this one over, even if it's not the type of thing you normally collect!
    The key with this task is to examine the real thing versus the chasing of the pictures.

I must be very blunt: I have around fifty or more real SS peaked caps. I look at these badges with a lupe, but I do not yank them off the caps and such.

The on line savants post images of these badges with bombastic statements about their make, their date of make, and the Werkstoffe and on and on.

When I look at the pieces I own, I fail to find the traits, characteristics and whatever that fill up these posts from the "scull" savants.

When I closely examine all metal cap insignia, for instance, army cap insignia, I find endless variations, differences, subtle oddities that I think are just random. I.e. meaningless.

Hence my skepticism.

My eye sight is not very good, I warrant you, but I also think we on this site have applied professional historical standards to our inquiry.

I am a great partisan in favor of knowledge, but real knowledge, and not much of the blather that especially adheres to these cap badges.

Zinc Overhoff M1/24 Skull - Opinions, please?Zinc Overhoff M1/24 Skull - Opinions, please?Zinc Overhoff M1/24 Skull - Opinions, please?Zinc Overhoff M1/24 Skull - Opinions, please?Zinc Overhoff M1/24 Skull - Opinions, please?Zinc Overhoff M1/24 Skull - Opinions, please?Zinc Overhoff M1/24 Skull - Opinions, please?Zinc Overhoff M1/24 Skull - Opinions, please?Zinc Overhoff M1/24 Skull - Opinions, please?Zinc Overhoff M1/24 Skull - Opinions, please?Zinc Overhoff M1/24 Skull - Opinions, please?Zinc Overhoff M1/24 Skull - Opinions, please?Zinc Overhoff M1/24 Skull - Opinions, please?

even these images do not tell the whole story, and what the objects themselves have to say is often a cipher.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 02-06-2015 at 07:43 PM.

from me too.

That thing is for sale on a website where you have to wait 6 months to have a reply from the seller.

G'day Dave and welcome to the forum. Many of us here value Sid's (carlson1982) opinion highly, if he says your badge is authentic then I believe it is. I don't know anything about the people selling it but I wish you good luck if you go ahead with trying to buy it,
    cheers mate,
    Dave ( another one!)

Quote by carlsson1982 View Post
    That thing is for sale on a website where you have to wait 6 months to have a reply from the seller.
    Haha... that alone was enough for me to know exactly who the seller was. He's probably the slowest to respond out there, a shame... cause he seems to dig up a lot of nice stuff --- good prices too.

I am actually halfway looking at acquiring one myself, so... thanks to Friedrich and Carlsson here for sharing their knowledge! I'm not ruling out the possibility of me adding another "is this SS skull real" thread when that time comes though

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Haha... that alone was enough for me to know exactly who the seller was. He's probably the slowest to respond out there, a shame... cause he seems to dig up a lot of nice stuff --- good prices too.

I am actually halfway looking at acquiring one myself, so... thanks to Friedrich and Carlsson here for sharing their knowledge! I'm not ruling out the possibility of me adding another "is this SS skull real" thread when that time comes though
    The prices certainly are very reasonable! I have to admit that the M1/24 skull is one of my least favorite designs... It just seems a little simplistic and "chunky" to me. I'm really considering going with the cupal Zimmerman in my other post, https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ss-me...9-41-a-521213/, if I can confirm that it is indeed authentic! In my opinion, the Zimmerman and Deschler skulls are much more visually striking.

I have much in common with Dave in doing my homework since I recently bought an OVERHOFF M 1/24 which might compliment this discussion. I would like to comment from the perspective of a past in the design and manufacturing of cold forming presses. The images provided by F-B are worth a thousand words as well as confirmation of other observations that OVERHOFF indeed used two different reverse dies to fulfill this RZM contract. Thanks....Doug.

The third try was the charm, so I shall continue. F-B 's skull is a bold strike from a blank/slug of heavier weight. Dave's skull is a good strike. All leading flow edges are smooth , including the eyes and nose with little to no feathering as air was vented well. The side view with its parting line is quite interesting, Thanks....Doug.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast